• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Short eared owls (1 Viewer)

Anyone got an indepth knowledge of this species who would be willing to share that knowledge on this thread?
A lovely bird the short eared owl.Sadly in decline in the yorkshire dales(my opinion)Once saw seven together mobbing a cream crown marsh harrier on ilkley moor.Had close views of birds perched on dry stone walls in the washburn valley.They obviously suffer due to the diurnal habits and the habitat that they frequent(without casting aspersions).Cheers dubs.

spent many nights watching over them nesting in the North of the peak district, and on many occassions bumped into the keepers from the shooting estate a few miles away.
Their habit of sitting on the fence posts along the roadside don't help their chances

I am afraid this is my first season of owl watching and although the birds dispersed from the nest before fledging, the fledged young have not yet dispersed from the area, they are hunting for themselves so i doubt they will be around much longer

Thanks Mike.

My particular interest is in the age of the young when the family leave the breeding territory. Are you actually observing the young flying/hunting on the territory?

My belief is they move on very quickly after finding their wings.

Cheers

Hi Firecrest,

Yes I am watching young flying/hunting, the parents seemed to drop food (maybe still alive) close to the young to help them learn to hunt, I have read that as soon as they are no longer reliant on the adults they will move on.

Well according to my observations they will be gone within 2 weeks of the youngest flying/hunting.

I'd be very grateful if you could post up your estimated timescales.

cheers
Firecrest5

No sign of the young birds tonight which would be almost exactly 2 weeks since I first saw them flying (upto 6 were present a week ago), adults were still around though

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back