• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recommend 1 great binocular for general viewing! (1 Viewer)

Until my eyesight goes and I need to wear glasses the old ultrawide Porros (of which the Nikon 8x30 are the latest incarnation will be my main choice.
If you could buy a lighter version with longer eyerelief.... 😉

Give the age of these old porros I wonder whose “lifetime” the warranty refers to?

PEter

Hey Bill, was this comment really necessary? If that's how you feel, then why bother?

You need to build up a bit of experience of it to appreciate Bill's sense of humour or at least some of it. My take on this is that we bino-maniacs all like to tell tall stories about our optics and experiences (and Bill didn't exclude himself from this) and we could all have a lot of fun doing this with even greater gusto face to face. So nothing more than a cheeky poke in the ribs of everybody including himself.

And lets face it, Bill has a lot to poke himself in the ribs about! ;)

Lee

Bill,

Let folks know that the EII can be repaired here in the US quite easily, so like me get one from Japan and do not waste your money on the Anniversary Edition.
By the way I agree with Lee, I would go if it is in the Netherlands and get some time in Amsterdam, and visit friends in Enschede.

A.W.

The B&H product contents specify "Limited Lifetime Warranty".

Only 400 were made, I don't know how many were allocated to the US. It's an official import, not gray market, so getting warranty coverage is not a concern (Nikon USA usually refuses flatly to service gray market products, even if you agree to pay for the repairs).

Whether that warranty is worth the price premium is a personal decision.

You will want it if there is something wrong with the binocular right out of the box. Otherwise you have to deal with the Gray Market seller and take your chances.

As for the E2s you probably should send any repair work on them to Suddarth anyway.

Bob

You need to build up a bit of experience of it to appreciate Bill's sense of humour or at least some of it. My take on this is that we bino-maniacs all like to tell tall stories about our optics and experiences (and Bill didn't exclude himself from this) and we could all have a lot of fun doing this with even greater gusto face to face. So nothing more than a cheeky poke in the ribs of everybody including himself.

And lets face it, Bill has a lot to poke himself in the ribs about! ;)

Lee

Oh, that was a joke. I guess I do need lessons in reading people on forums, and humour. Thanks for the heads up on that one!

My greatest apologies to Bill! ; )

Oh, that was a joke. I guess I do need lessons in reading people on forums, and humour. Thanks for the heads up on that one!

My greatest apologies to Bill! ; )

Barry:

No need! I'm very used to be taken the wrong way. It's just a way of life. :cat:

Cheers,

Bill

PS And I do wish we could have meetings ... at least regionally.

Just one huh?

I have a few that come to mind. But as you requested, I'm just going to mention one.

That binocular to ME has to be easy to anyone to use. It can't be too heavy or bulky. Mechanics have to be well thought out and function perfectly. Holding, focusing, viewing needs to be second nature. Non-fussy eye placement is essential. That binocular:

Leica Ultravid HD + 7X42.

Attachments

• IMG_3863.jpg
    IMG_3863.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 77
That binocular to ME has to be easy to anyone to use. It can't be too heavy or bulky. Mechanics have to be well thought out and function perfectly. Holding, focusing, viewing needs to be second nature. Non-fussy eye placement is essential.

That about covers it. That must be one beautiful binocular.

Yes, but the part about Lee providing the Steaks is TRUE! B :)

Ted

OK guys I'll open a bank account in the Bahamas and you can start sending funds whenever you like. As soon as the account reaches 'critical mass' (ie Trump-loads of cash) I'll let you all know and you can start sending me your orders for steaks. You have a choice of overdone, underdone or half-baked.

Thank you.

Lee

:-O:-O:-O

OK, so who else is so impressed with their binoculars to recommend them to all who want a great view? Yes, just one recommendation, but what has impressed you the most is what I am asking you to post, please.

Barry .... the Nikon EII 8X30 has probably provided some of the most impressive overall views I have seen when all the conditions of view and light are right. It is impressive at a much more affordable price than some of the high end stuff. I can see why it is your choice.

My choice for the most impressive model overall is the Zeiss SF 8X42. It has a very wide FOV, the optics are top notch, it has excellent balance and ergonomics for me, it handles stray light very well, seems to cut through haze well, shows little CA and it comes from a well established company.

Just one huh?

I have a few that come to mind. But as you requested, I'm just going to mention one.

That binocular to ME has to be easy to anyone to use. It can't be too heavy or bulky. Mechanics have to be well thought out and function perfectly. Holding, focusing, viewing needs to be second nature. Non-fussy eye placement is essential.

Hello,

I found that binocular with the Zeiss 8x32 FL. I do not find its 4mm exit pupil as fussy, although exit pupil is not necessarily prescriptive for ease of eye placement. I found the Nikon 8x32 SE, very difficult to use, even with the same exit pupil.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

Bill,

Let folks know that the EII can be repaired here in the US quite easily, so like me get one from Japan and do not waste your money on the Anniversary Edition.
By the way I agree with Lee, I would go if it is in the Netherlands and get some time in Amsterdam, and visit friends in Enschede.

A.W.

Andy:

You make a good point, they are repairable here, and the rubber eyecups
are not as fragile as some make them out to be. Maybe if you fold and
unfold them often, it could be an issue down the road. There are some on
here who recommend the careful use of armorall to keep them pliable.

Barry, you have nominated a great binocular, a cult classic.

Jerry

Jerry,

You are right the rubber eye cups will last a long time if not folded for eyeglasses. And the armorall works great. Difference in price is about $300-$350 between the Black EII from Japan and the Glossy Anniversary edition sold here.

A.W.

Jerry,

You are right the rubber eye cups will last a long time if not folded for eyeglasses. And the armorall works great. Difference in price is about $300-$350 between the Black EII from Japan and the Glossy Anniversary edition sold here.

A.W.

Mine have been folded for more than 13 years. I remove them every few years to apply armorall. They are like new.

I think what Jerry was saying if they are continuously folded and unfolded say between eyeglass/non-eyeglass users the rubber may be compromised. If used either way consistently,( it appears from your experience folded down) there are likely no issues.

A.W.

Good to know!

Mine have been folded for more than 13 years. I remove them every few years to apply armorall. They are like new.

Thank you Pileatus, it's good to know that folded is OK too, and the Armorall besides. I don't wear glasses, but I prefer the veiw with them folded.

Of course, though, product changes can happen over time, so your rubber might not be what is used on later ones, so who knows, really.
Good tip though, and it puts me at ease about keeping mine folded down, a bit! ; )

Last edited:
You will want it if there is something wrong with the binocular right out of the box. Otherwise you have to deal with the Gray Market seller and take your chances.

I took the plunge on the on the anniversary 8x30 EIIs but I am sending them back.
  • Despite having nearly the same specified eye relief as my Leica Ultravid BL 8x42 (13.8mm vs 16mm), they are essentially useless with glasses, even with ye olde rubber eye cups folded down.
  • The copy I was sent also had abnormally high flare and veiling glare in the right eye.
  • The light weight also makes them harder to hold steady.
  • The extreme parallax makes for a very disorienting experience at shorter distances (3-4m or so), to the point I first thought they were incorrectly collimated.

They are optically far inferior to my Canon 10x42L IS (also Porros) despite costing nearly as much. Color me unimpressed. I think I will get the Swarovski 8x30 CL B instead.

It is obviously a glass for non-glass wearing individuals, due to the low eye relief. The swaro is too small for my manly hands.

A.W.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back