• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The role of Luck in birding (1 Viewer)

PeterK

Hi All we were at Marberry CP in Cheshire yesterday, it was a superb truly English spring day.In the main hide overlooking the mere we met three charming ladies, who had seen very little and were about to leave, I suggested the minute they went the Bittern would appear, well that didnt happen, but not ten seconds after they left a flash of irredescent blue heralded the Kingfisher, who delighted us for some time with its flying skills, then High in the sky were three Buzzards which were riding the wind at high altitude, ( I think one of these belongs to Ruth), then a coletit and a mallard with a young, the Grebes then also arrived( Budworth Mere is always a good place to see Grebes). I felt so sorry for the ladies and again was forced to realise how much luck matters in Birding.
For those interested in wildflowers the Bluebells were in full bloom, the woodland full of their scent and looking superb all decked out in blue. The Garlic, celandines and red campion added to this wonderful display. This was topped of by finding the finest example of Dryad Saddles I have seen for years, Its A fungi that lives on dead logs and looks exactly like a saddle.
So all in all a really great day in a wonderful part of England, we believe Budworth Mere with its views across to Great Budworth Church typifies all that is best in England.

Dot & PeterK (Dot is the Botanist)

sounds like you had a fatastic day :t:

just about to leave for redgrave and lopham fen in the norfolk/suffolk
border,the sun is shining and the sky's are blue.

think i might be having a good day myself!

matt

Hi Peter, what a delightful day you both had! It really is a super time of year, I'll bet those Bluebells were a picture! :t:

I have just googled Dryad Saddles, so now I will be able to tell my family what it is called when we are out and about and see it! They will think I am so clever. ;)

Thanks for sharing your Spring day with us all,

Hi Peter,

Don't like to say it (yes I do), P & L my friend, P & L.

It's the curse of all birdwatchers, the thought 'what am I missing by being in THIS hide?' and then 'what shall I miss if I change hides?'

Decisions, decisions, it's a wonder that we aren't all nervous wrecks.

Bill.

Hi Peter,
Glad to hear that you had a lovely day in my "back yard"!
Yes I very often get 3 Buzzards soaring over the garden so think they were "mine"!lol!
The Kingfisher is a regular at that spot but always a treat!
I must look out for the Dryad Saddles.......never heard of them before!
Talking of which Peter....good luck at Chelsea,I'll look out for you on TV!!!
The pictures below are just so you all know why Peter enjoys it there so much.
Best wishes,

Attachments

• Marbury Avenue.JPG
    Marbury Avenue.JPG
    122.3 KB · Views: 38
  • Boat on Mere.JPG
    Boat on Mere.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 37
  • Sun through gate.JPG
    Sun through gate.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Ruth Daniel said:
Hi Peter,
Glad to hear that you had a lovely day in my "back yard"!
Yes I very often get 3 Buzzards soaring over the garden so think they were "mine"!lol!
The Kingfisher is a regular at that spot but always a treat!
I must look out for the Dryad Saddles.......never heard of them before!
Talking of which Peter....good luck at Chelsea,I'll look out for you on TV!!!
The pictures below are just so you all know why Peter enjoys it there so much.
Best wishes,

Dryad's Saddle (Polyporus squamosus) Hang on a bit, with any luck.......

Attachments

• P. squamosus.jpg
    P. squamosus.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 28
!!

Ruth Daniel said:
Thanks Pam....now I know what to look for!!!!
It's wonderful isn't it?

It's probably the most unmistakable of all the bracket fungi, Ruth, and is edible though I haven't ever tried it as I find the brackets usually a bit tough. This one was growing about ten yards from the door of one of the hides at the reserve so was an added bonus!!! Both my favourite things in one place - bliss.

I'm sure I don't need to say this to such an educated lot in the way of nature, but don't eat any fungi which you don't know absolutely to be edible and good!!

Last edited:
Hi Peter,

A beautiful day out for you both quite obviously, glad you enjoyed it. Kingfishers are such beautiful Birds bringing such beautiful sights with those gorgeous blues...wonderful. Some beautiful displays of Bluebells, Campion (White too) and Lesser Celandine all around here, Germander Speedwell too we noticed on Thurday. A really beautiful time of year. Good for Dot with her names of the flowers. All the best Peter,

Sue. PS and the knee? Hope it's much better. Lovely photos of the countryside and Fungi Ruth and Pam, beautiful.

Hi All Sue you are right what good pics, wish I could get mine to work! The knee seems a lot better, and as we are at Chelsea FW next week for two days (tuesday and wednesday) on the British Mycology Stand I hope it stays the pace. Anyone at Chelsea come and chat with us we will do Birds as well as Fungi. We are at the Tatton Flower Show in July also so busy, busy busy.
Ruth good views of your backyard, Pam do you know what tree the fungi was growing on, nice to see some French Fungi, it was taken there I assume?

All the Best Peter

Hi Peter.

You describe the near perfect spring day. Ornithology, botony and mycology all combined with lovely weather.Thanks for sharing it.
Enjoy Chelsea. I wouldn't be at all surprised if have spoken to you in the past. I was at Tatton Flower Show two years ago and spent time talking to the people on the mycology stand. I'll assume that you were not the one in the skirt and checked blouse. LOL!!

All the best

PeterK said:
Hi All Sue you are right what good pics, wish I could get mine to work! The knee seems a lot better, and as we are at Chelsea FW next week for two days (tuesday and wednesday) on the British Mycology Stand I hope it stays the pace. Anyone at Chelsea come and chat with us we will do Birds as well as Fungi. We are at the Tatton Flower Show in July also so busy, busy busy.
Ruth good views of your backyard, Pam do you know what tree the fungi was growing on, nice to see some French Fungi, it was taken there I assume?

All the Best Peter
Hello Peter, Just found your post. The P.squamosus was on an old elm and yes, in France. Given a decent year, we have a great variety of fungi around here, mainly in the forest of course, and I have loved them for their mystery, colours and various forms since childhood. They are also good photographic subjects because they don't wobble about in the breeze like wild flowers and, currently from my pond, all the Emperor Dragon Flies just emerging from their pupae. I took about fifty shots of those yesterday and not one of them is sharp!!!
Best wishes and I hope the knee holds up for you.

BazR said:
I'll assume that you were not the one in the skirt and checked blouse. LOL!!

Hi Baz,

Thanks for that remark to Peter, I'm still giggling now. Be careful your slip doesn't show Peter!!! :'D

Love and giggles, Sue.

PeterK said:
Sue you are right what good pics, wish I could get mine to work! The knee seems a lot better, and as we are at Chelsea FW next week for two days (tuesday and wednesday) on the British Mycology Stand I hope it stays the pace. Anyone at Chelsea come and chat with us we will do Birds as well as Fungi. We are at the Tatton Flower Show in July also so busy, busy busy.
Peter

Hi Peter,

Sorry about that above...couldn't resist it! Blame Baz! I'm pleased to hear the knee's healing, let's hope all that standing around doesn't put too much pressure on it again.

I'd love to go to Chelsea and especially to see you at there Peter, who knows - one day maybe, but places that are too busy aren't really for me. You must really know you're stuff with the Mycology, though I always remember that from way back in the past on the BBC Nature Matters board. Good luck to you Peter, safe journeys! Best wishes,

Sue.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back