• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Please help deciding on an 8x42 (1 Viewer)

Chuck, have you ever noticed something strange with the diopter?

Yeah....The diopter adjustment under the right eyepiece moves more freely than most do. That's nice when adjusting but bad when you want it to stay "set." The adjustment does tend to "wander" a little bit. It's nothing major but somewhat of an annoyance. It's easy to mark where it should be for easy adjustment return.

Trinovid HD is to the left...

Attachments

• IMG_3187.JPG
    IMG_3187.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 64
Countless binoculars have the diopter adjustment on the eyepiece and their owners experience zero issues.
Do you know them all and do they all know this defect?

I don't think so. For example, I had four binoculars with a defect to the lateral diopter (incorrect calibration), where the movement of the ocular lens caused difficulty in obtaining a balanced vision.
I am sorry for your defective central diopter binoculars, because that system is certainly better and preferable (in the absence of defects). I too have had some negative experiences with central diopter, but it must be admitted that in the more expensive (or better made) models the defect is less likely.

Yeah....The diopter adjustment under the right eyepiece moves more freely than most do. That's nice when adjusting but bad when you want it to stay "set." The adjustment does tend to "wander" a little bit. It's nothing major but somewhat of an annoyance. It's easy to mark where it should be for easy adjustment return.
Hi Chuck, thanks for the reply. I'm sorry to see this unusual change of course in Leica binoculars (the first time I saw it through your photos). It is certainly as you say and there is no problem, however this change would distance me from choosing the Trinovid. Only bad psychology, but the little logic behind it, conditions me.

I don't think Leica will produce in China and it never will (only in Germany, Portugal and Canada, and with the high quality expected). But this new version of Trinovid (which I haven't tried) amazed me, for the eyepiece diopter.
All Leica models were with central diopter!
The diopter on the eyepiece, when adjusted, can alter the correct eye-binocular compatibility. And also create obvious imbalances. I don't think Leica ever presents the public with binoculars with these problems. But I wonder why he changed the habit.

Chuck, have you ever noticed something strange with the diopter?

Hello,

Leica has had items such as camera lenses and other parts made in Japan before , they probably still do this.

Leica Compact Cameras are re-badged Japanese Cameras , I speak under correction , but I think that they are made by either Minolta or Panasonic.

Chinese production costs are probably lower than Japanese production costs , so it is quite possible that Leica indeed have items made in China , (profit maximization and all that).

So a "LeicaChin" is not beyond the bounds of possibility.

3:) o:D 3:)

Cheers.

Leica has had items such as camera lenses and other parts made in Japan before , they probably still do this.
If you are referring to the participation with Minolta in the last century, it built only the bodies of the Leica-CL, while the lenses were still made in Leica. Then Minolta built her Mini Leica and the optics that had the same optical design and said by many also the same excellent quality (maybe the glasses were Leica?).

The digital cameras are made in collaboration with Panasonic, but what still matters is the quality on the models in the Leica format (24x36).

I believe that Leica would make a serious mistake in producing "made in China", because this company has always been based on quality at high prices. And it would lose much more than the profits it would make by avoiding China. But it is only my hypothesis.

8x42

Looks very attractive, and I can only recommend the 8x42FL, have had mine since 2005. It needed some repairs this year. So 14 years before there was a major issue. And it is now like new, to the point that I truly fell in love with it once again.

I notice it is sold from the UK, so shipping costs are additional. Still an excellent value I think. Even a LotuTech version. And it looks like it is in mint condition. Got a used 10x42 like this one and I'm very happy, though the 8x is still my favorite.

Last edited:
The OP was a new member and as many new members, didn't realize he should subscribe for email notifications. I have just subscribed him so he will get your responses now or will after the next post ;)

I've been using a 8x42 Conquest HD for a bit now, as kind of a jack of all trades binocular. It has a weaker FoV than the best and doesn't control CA amazingly well, but is an overall solid binocular and I'd struggle to find any major faults at the price point. In the past I'd have recommended the Vortex Razor HD over it, but with production of that model moving to China I can't make that same recommendation (note: the MiC model may be just fine, I've just not personally tested it). I've had issues with the eyecups on the Conquest HD; for some reason the outer rubber shell wants to separate from the plastic mechanical portion, which causes all sorts of issues.
The Monarch HG is a model I wish I could test it against, I've had very little time to try it out though.
I owned the SLC-HD for about a year and really doubt you would regret buying it as the optics and build quality were truly top of the line; that said, I'm not sure you'll be disappointed if you go with the Conquest HD as it is optically very high quality also (although there does seem to be some sample variation).

I'm heavily considering the Leica Trinovid HD as well. The thing that turns me off about it is people's comments that it has been cheapened compared to the previous Trinovid (2012-2015) model. I can still find the previous model but the problem is the 15.5mm eye relief. I wear eyeglasses and I prefer a bit more eye relief. With all the comments that the new HD versions have been cheapened, I still read people saying that the new HD's are sharper and brighter then the previous version. It will obviously not compare with the current Ultravids but I'm not really expecting it to. The thing that I'm worried about with the HD is the comments saying that the diopter knob is quite easy to unintentionally knock out of setting. When all is said, I'm quite sure that if I get it, I will be happy with the Trinovid HD, but with all the "cheapened" comments out there, it makes it seem like I will get the impression that I'm getting a cheap Chinese clone upon opening the box.

FWIW I have the Trinovid HD 8x32 and 8x42 and don't find anything cheap about them. Good luck with whatever you chose!

Thanks to all the suggestions. I've read about a lot of the possible choices in the price range. It seems like all of them have their cons. Nothing seems to be perfect. Right now I really like Swarovski based on their warranty and service!

Nothing seems to be perfect.
And nothing will ever be! Because since someone produced the perfect binoculars, it would be over for everyone, even for themselves.
I believe that all manufacturers carefully avoid making perfect binoculars, to continue to earn and earn more.
But maybe it's just my imaginative impression...

Certainly, choosing one's own binoculars "based on their guarantee and assistance" seems to me a strange procedure.

I choose binoculars mainly based on its optical qualities, then on the mechanical ones, on the weight, on the ergonomics and finally on the price. But I have never spent € 3,000 on binoculars yet.

Francis,

Chuck has given some great tips regarding the choices, he has used the glass in varying conditions so it is valuable info. If there is not a store for you to check out the varying models, Zeiss, Leica or Swarovski, then perhaps an on-line store that is return friendly (no re-stocking fees). Maven does have a program to try before you buy, that may be worth a shot. Tract Optics makes some glass that is priced in the $700.00 range, I have a 10X42 that performs very well.
Ergonomics play a major role with viewing as well as the optics, (how the IPD works with varying diameter/length of eyecups, all in play. Try them before committing to a purchase.

Andy W.

Hello, recently I compared the Zeiss Conquest 8x42 and the Leica trinovid HD. I tried several Conquests in different configurations and all except one had some play in the focuser. Not much, maybe irrelevant in practice, but enough to feel it. The focuser was also fast for me. The image was sharp but had a cold color cast. The leica hd I tried (eventually bought) was equally sharp and had a slightly warmer cast. The focus had no play and had the tension and speed I find ideal. I wear glasses and the eye relief works well for me, whereas the 15.5mm of the ultravid and previous trinovid were a tad short. Yes, the diopter could use more resistance but in practice it does not move on my pair. All said, I think both are good. Except for the play in the focuser, my choice was based not on performance but on personal preference. I think trying in person is the best way to resolve any doubts. Regards,

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back