• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Christmas Birding (1 Viewer)

Hobbes2

...and not the stuffed turkey variety! lol

I'm hoping to escape the traditions of Christmas this year and maybe do a day or weekend's birding. I was wondering if anyone knew about UK birding holidays or 'bird races' that take place over the Christmas period? All ideas/experiences gratefully received! :t:

Hobbes

...and not the stuffed turkey variety! lol

I'm hoping to escape the traditions of Christmas this year and maybe do a day or weekend's birding. I was wondering if anyone knew about UK birding holidays or 'bird races' that take place over the Christmas period? All ideas/experiences gratefully received! :t:

Hobbes

A lot of people (myself included) do a new years day list in order to boost their year lists. I know one or two people who have done a mini birdrace between christmas and new year while they are off work just for a bit of fun. Its usually done by small local birdwatching groups tho.

CB

i tried to escape the traditions of christmas last year with a spot of birding, but all i saw was
7 swans a swimming
6 geese a laying
4 calling birds (unidentified)
3 french hens
2 turtle doves
and believe it or not a partridge in a pear tree

sorry i couldn't help myself

Not sure if there are christmas bird counts in your area, but I always find it a good past time over the holidays. This year I think I'll be heading down to Trinidad though to escape the cold and the holiday festivities. A bit far from the UK I suppose....

A lot of people (myself included) do a new years day list in order to boost their year lists. I know one or two people who have done a mini birdrace between christmas and new year while they are off work just for a bit of fun. Its usually done by small local birdwatching groups tho.

CB

Thanks CB. I haven't quite decided whether to stay local or go away. Depends what's available. My local group isn't doing anything as far as I know...

i tried to escape the traditions of christmas last year with a spot of birding, but all i saw was
7 swans a swimming
6 geese a laying
4 calling birds (unidentified)
3 french hens
2 turtle doves
and believe it or not a partridge in a pear tree

sorry i couldn't help myself

lol, nice one, that's 5 you could add to your year list! :t:

Not sure if there are christmas bird counts in your area, but I always find it a good past time over the holidays. This year I think I'll be heading down to Trinidad though to escape the cold and the holiday festivities. A bit far from the UK I suppose....

Well, if you fancy paying the airfare and hotel bills, I'm with you, lol. Seriously though, sounds like a nice place to escape to. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back