• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Desining a BirdFeeder (1 Viewer)

Doro

Hello, One and All

My name is Palmer, I am product design student and i am currently doing a project to design a bird feeder to be placed in the garden and used by small birds. I currently have two design solutions and my reason for being here today, is to ask you guys, which one would you buy or go for. They are both designed to weatherproof and specific to small birds like tits.

Thank You for your time for reading this.

Palmer

Attachments

• BlueCapIncontextrezised-min.jpg
    BlueCapIncontextrezised-min.jpg
    390.3 KB · Views: 54
  • BlueCinludarIncontextresized-min.jpg
    BlueCinludarIncontextresized-min.jpg
    373.7 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
I too like the first tube feeder.
In your design consider some way to keep the food dry from the elements and ease of filling / cleaning.
Best of luck.

Like the 2nd one. If the front is easy to remove it would make it ideal for filling and cleaning. Maybe the top front edge could be a little longer to keep rain off the front face.
Good luck with the designs.

Welcome to Birdforum!

I like the first because it IS more "conventional" but there are already many designs like that out there-the second seems to be a better idea that is appealing.

I think the first would sell better BECAUSE it is conventional. I know that may NOT be your intent as a designer (I would think the goal is to be UNconventional and think "outside the box"?)

Bear in mind the psychology of the backyard birdwatcher (in the case of the second design). We want to SEE the bird and we do that by FEEDING the bird (sure we want to help them with easy-to-find food but I think seeing it is the goal). With the second you only see it from the clear ends. I'm not saying make it completely from clear poly...heck I don't know the answer but it seems to hide the little guy(s) while eating. Maybe add some some perching points(?) Also use a poly that will not "yellow" or oxidize if you're going to these lengths already.

I also have imagined a "perfect" birdfeeder as being "dishwasher safe" but I would imagine that could never be from from a health and liability standpoint (not a materials standpoint).

Hope this is helpful to you-not being critical at all.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back