• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2018. (1 Viewer)

36 - a garden tick today:

Raven.

Nice one H, they never used to be around Barnsley when I were a lad ;)

One more added here today:

31 Black Woodpecker

Despite the dawn to dusk blue sky there 's still no sign of our local Buzzards, I think Storm Eleanor blew them over into Italy the other day:eek!:

One more added here today:

31 Black Woodpecker
there 's still no sign of our local Buzzards

Ditto to both, added Black Woodpecker today, Buzzard conspicuous by absence (but often a bit irregular in winter)

New additions:

13. Black Woodpecker
14. Nuthatch
15. Redpoll

I didn't realise at the time but yesterday's Green Woodpecker was actually a first for my garden life-list, exactly a year after I moved in.

Two additions this morning:
36. Mute Swan
37. Song Thrush

Steve

9. Common Scoter
10. Red-throated Diver
11. Fulmar
12. Cormorant
13. Black-headed Gull
14. Common Gull
15. Jackdaw
16. Carrion Crow
17. Blue Tit
18. Starling
19. Blackbird
20. Robin
21. Dunnock
22. House Sparrow
23. Chaffinch
24. Eider

Last edited:
Four days later than last year, and a hoped for half way mark today the 8th Jan.

Coal Tit - Blue Tit - Great Tit - LTTit - Siskin - Redpoll - Goldfinch - Chaffinch - Nuthatch - Greater Spotted Woodpecker - Collared Dove - Wood Pigeon - RNParakeet - Robin - Dunnock - Tawny Owl - Jay - Magpie - Song Thrush - Redwing - Blackbird....so far in the garden.

Flyovers- Cormorant - Grey Heron - Little Egret - GBBGull - LBBGull - Herring Gull - Common Gull - BHGull - Carrion Crow - Jackdaw - Mistle Thrush - Fieldfare - Feral Pigeon - Stock Dove - Mallard - Grey Wagtail - Kestrel - Sprawk - Common Buzzard.

Still a few "regulars" not playing ball. :-C

Circa dozen Siskins actively flitting around the feeders....thinking that one looks odd with crown stripe!...before zapping into the conifer...no.41 Goldcrest.

29. Little grebe

Only my 4th record on patch, and the third from the office window. It's very cold in the hills and I wonder if the temperature, and the big lumps of ice floating down the river, have moved it down to the river mouth.

A cold couple of hours this morning vainly hoping for more Pink-feet going over but

38. Mistle Thrush
39. Skylark
40. Goldcrest

Steve

Can't remember such a dull, dark, dreary day!.....but hey Jenny Wren gave it some lift at 3.35pm...no.42.

I would love to live where I could watch the sea Simon - next time I move............

A good movement of Pink-feet NW across Leicestershire today

I was thinking what I most miss from the UK - got to be the winter geese and the seabird colonies; none of that round these parts so pretty jealous of your Pinkfeet.;)

I can only see about a 20º angle of the sea from home - and its in a bay, so not proper seawatching - but sometimes its worth watching for a bit. Today has been rain for most of the day - managed to watch the sea for half an hour or so and up popped a 12 strong flock of Kittiwakes - a "garden" tick for me B :) that I can add to 3 regulars in the last 2 days. Also, 2 Bonxies and small numbers of Gannets.

22. Grey Wagtail
23. Little Egret
24. Black-legged Kittiwake
25. Sandwich Tern

As I write, close to 50 Kittiwakes passed going west - pretty far out but less than 1km. Also, one of my mssing species:

26. Lesser Black-backed Gull

No real time spent at home but crawled to 22 with 12 photographed including Goosander on the one patch of river visible in the dark this morning!

1 Robin Garden GB-ENG 01 Jan 2018
2 Goosander Garden GB-ENG 02 Jan 2018
3 Black-headed Gull Garden GB-ENG 02 Jan 2018
4 Feral Pigeon Garden GB-ENG 02 Jan 2018
5 Woodpigeon Garden GB-ENG 02 Jan 2018
6 Magpie Garden GB-ENG 02 Jan 2018
7 Carrion Crow Garden GB-ENG 02 Jan 2018
8 Blue Tit Garden GB-ENG 02 Jan 2018
9 Great Tit Garden GB-ENG 02 Jan 2018
10 Blackbird Garden GB-ENG 02 Jan 2018
11 Starling Garden GB-ENG 02 Jan 2018
12 Cormorant Garden GB-ENG 03 Jan 2018
13 Lesser Black-backed Gull Garden GB-ENG 03 Jan 2018
14 Goldfinch Garden GB-ENG 03 Jan 2018
15 Mallard Garden GB-ENG 04 Jan 2018
16 Herring Gull Garden GB-ENG 04 Jan 2018
17 Jackdaw Garden GB-ENG 04 Jan 2018
18 Long-tailed Tit Garden GB-ENG 06 Jan 2018
19 Fieldfare Garden GB-ENG 07 Jan 2018
20 Pied Wagtail Garden GB-ENG 07 Jan 2018
21 House Sparrow Garden GB-ENG 07 Jan 2018
22 Collared Dove Garden GB-ENG 07 Jan 2018

A Little Egret spends its time feeding under the near bank so far out of view.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Goosander (reduced).jpg
    Goosander (reduced).jpg
    402.4 KB · Views: 42
  • Goosanders (reduced).jpg
    Goosanders (reduced).jpg
    323.2 KB · Views: 59
#13. Jackdaw
#14. Greater Spotted Woodpecker
#15. Fieldfare
- Some of these are still here.
#16. Greenfinch
#17. Arctic Redpoll
- I think this is same individual as in December.
#18. Siskin
#19. Coal Tit
- At a first time I saw two of these on my garden. :king:
#20. Sparrowhawk - I carried firewoods to sauna, when I noticed passerines panic reaction. I looked up and there it was.

Supraisingly good start for this year. Last year I get 20th at March. (Also this can mean that I see next new species at March... or April...) 3:)

Garden list 2018

Managed to see:
Blue tits
Great tits
Robin
House Sparrow
Collard Dove
Turtle Dove
Pied Wagtail
Black bird
Thrush
Merlin

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back