• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

S.cantillans, S.c.cantillans, S.c. inornata, moltini’s (1 Viewer)

Deb Burhinus

Used to be well known! 😎
Europe
Im not sure if this is the right place for this!?

AFAIK, nominate S.cantillans, S.c.cantillans and Moltini’s warbler can all be found in Sardinia. Given its proximity to N.Africa, is inornta out of the question (as Spring overshoots?)

Either way, other than call, are there any id features, gizz etc that can help me separate female types in late August, and possibly very worn males esp. between Moltini’s and the catillans - moult timimg? behaviour? Distribution?

Presumably Moltini’s are no longer conspecific for a very good reason?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Is anyone here familiar with the Subalpine complex? are 1st summer males and females (western) even possible to separate from moltini’s without calls. Can the pink tones of moltini’s be a source of confusion with worn late summer orange tones of westerns etc? Do moltini's have the white tipped primary feature of male westerns (are these even visible unless in the hand!). Apologies for what are probably mundane questions but I would appreciate some expert input on the rationale of the taxonomy before being presented with an ID nightmare in Sardinia at the end of August! Thanks.

Moltoni's (note spelling ;) ) has a very different call

James

I must stop posting so late at night!

The article by Brian small was probably the most helpful (well in theory). (thank you Niels)The diagnostic tail feature of subalpina and inornata separating them from cantillans looks great on paper and probably in the hand but doubt its that visible on less than sharp flight photos. All the diagnostic treatment of this complex seems to be based on fresh spring adult males not worn/post b.moult/female/1cy individuals (the latter likely unidentifiable even to sp!) in late August where strong contrasting light and faded plumage could greatly influence colour tones (as would the time of day) Even some calls are simillar with the other plethora of Sylvias likely to be found on Sardinia (and wrens!) at least I won’t have to contend with Barred and Lesser wts ...

In short, my panic only grows :-O

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back