• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How many bird species are there? (1 Viewer)

Total number of bird species can grow indefinitely, to the total number of subspecies and more. There is no reason why bird populations which we consider laughably similar, e.g. English and Irish House Sparrows, cannot be considered different species in 20 years time.

Therefore splitting will go indefinitely, as long as there are incentives to split, especially: gratification to scientists from making additional papers and increased conservation attention to a new species in the area.

The only way to stabilize taxonomy and nomenclature are:
- modification of science publishing that taxonomy papers are ranked by new facts, not re-interpretations focusing on making more splits, and
-that conservation attention is given to objective criteria, e.g. EDGE ranking or percentage of genetic difference, not to labels like species or subspecies.

Total number of bird species can grow indefinitely, to the total number of subspecies and more. There is no reason why bird populations which we consider laughably similar, e.g. English and Irish House Sparrows, cannot be considered different species in 20 years time.

Therefore splitting will go indefinitely, as long as there are incentives to split, especially: gratification to scientists from making additional papers and increased conservation attention to a new species in the area.

- modification of science publishing that taxonomy papers are ranked by new facts, not re-interpretations focusing on making more splits, and
-that conservation attention is given to objective criteria, e.g. EDGE ranking or percentage of genetic difference, not to labels like species or subspecies.

The first step to stabilising taxonomy is to agree a standard approach which doesn't look likely in my lifetime.

A

This is a most interesting thread. I wish to thank everyone for posting. And double thanks to Peter Kovalik for starting this thread by posting Kurt Schläpfer's paper: How many bird species are there? (2018).

[/B]

The first step to stabilising taxonomy is to agree a standard approach which doesn't look likely in my lifetime.

There will be no standard as long as there is an incentive not to have a standard. There is no point pretending there is no politcal factor in bird taxonomy.

There will be no standard as long as there is an incentive not to have a standard. There is no point pretending there is no politcal factor in bird taxonomy.

It's exactly the same as boxing - too many competing authorities, each with their own rules. No one authority is prepared to disband (other than BOURC TSC!), merge or collaborate, given the incentives to do otherwise.

cheers, alan

From the point of view of a conservation activist or a politician, it would be much easier if one standard could be set, final answers delivered and be done with it. From the twitchers, great, there would be one lasting standard to compete from.

From a scientific point of view, having a healthy (or sometimes less healthy?) discussion of what is the right approach and to find more data aimed at bolstering one's own argument is exactly the right way to go. Stopping that would be like putting a stop to finding ever faster PC processers, more powerful batteries, etc.

Niels

The first step to stabilising taxonomy is to

What are the reasons for this apparent need to stabilize taxonomy? Apart from bird listers' convenience, which I hope everyone agrees is not a very important issue.
Science is virtually never a closed, finished sentence. In my opinion the essence of science is to adapt the answers, theories etc. to new discoveries (even based on data already available a long time ago, which is often the case in ornithology), not to deliver stability.

From a scientific point of view, having a healthy (or sometimes less healthy?) discussion of what is the right approach and to find more data aimed at bolstering one's own argument is exactly the right way to go. Stopping that would be like putting a stop to finding ever faster PC processers, more powerful batteries, etc.

Totally agreed!

What are the reasons for this apparent need to stabilize taxonomy? Apart from bird listers' convenience,

Totally agreed!

I was simply addressing the OP and pointing out that without a standardised taxonomy, no answer to the question is possible

What are the reasons for this apparent need to stabilize taxonomy? Apart from bird listers' convenience, which I hope everyone agrees is not a very important issue.

Indeed, of no importance at all. To my mind, the only really important reason for a stabilized taxonomy is political—the provision of pegs for conservationists and land managers to hang their hats on.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back