• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with Cocoon ID! (1 Viewer)

Fuchsia

Bug Babe
Hello,
I opened the window this morning to find something had constructed some little mud huts in the frame. Usually living in the window frames are shield bugs 'Carpocoris pudicus', fire bugs 'Lygaeus equestris' and various spiders. What please are responsible for these and when can I expect them to emerge - I'd hate to miss it!

Cheers
Jen :hi:

Attachments

• window1.jpg
    window1.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 167
  • window2.jpg
    window2.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 159
Looks like the nest of some type of potter wasp to me.

Real neat, they look just like some old Greek pots that have been lying on the sea bed for a few hundred years.

Paul

Well, I've left them alone and checked once a week but no change. I've read many websites about the wasps but none give an idea of how long they stay in the 'pot'.
Fascinating how they put a live insect in there for food. All that going on at the foot of my bed! (They have an exit route to the outside by the way).
Will let you now if anything happens.
Jen :)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back