• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trading ''Two wheels for Four'' Fuerteventura, Dec.26th-Dec.2nd.(Part 2). (1 Viewer)

KenM

On Tuesday 29th we picked up our hire car, a Citroen Cactus, aptly named for the location. We drove North to Antigua, stopped and gave the town the once over, It was here that we encountered our 1st Goldfinch of the trip. However with an intended busy day ahead, we pressed on to La Oliva, where we stopped for a Coffee break. Getting out of the car in brilliant light a Hoopoe flew across the road and into a field of ''Prickly Pear'' type cactus.
As we strolled towards the ''caffeine'' stop we saw the same Hoopoe carrying food flying through a builders yard, over the wall and disappearing. This was observed many times during our stop (apparently they can breed in Dec.according to lit).

Walking back to the car replete with coffee, we glimpsed and heard a very uncooperative Spectacled Warbler, before heading West to El Cotillo/Tindaya, where we hoped to perhaps catch a glimpse of Houbara? despite much scanning, It was a ''thumbs down'' affair.

Next stop Betancuria!...Oh If I'd only known in advance!!!..on the way there we came across a ''viewing area'' where we promptly stopped, to find two Buzzards disappearing over yonder hill! Some less than perfect shots were obtained...thus we pressed on.

I had no idea that the gradient was going to be so steep, or that the road though perfectly surfaced, appeared to be narrow particularly on the bends. This was somewhat disconcerting with my wife sitting on the right hand side of the car (sheer drop side), and sounding like she was giving birth on every bend. This was compounded by my ''distance'' ratio gear box, which felt like I was ''stirring a cake mix'' every time I changed gear on a bend at the most ''critical time'', basically I wanted to get to a point, where we would begin to descend, as we seemed to be going interminably up!!

Eventually we started to descend (thank Christ!), and the 2nd Coffee of the day was much appreciated, a very attractive village (the old capital), nevertheless....one that I won't be going back to in a hurry...and I didn't see African Blue Tit, however the double dip day, was somewhat salvaged by a superb African Monarch butterfly another tick! Returning back to the hotel, tomorrow would be another day, albeit one..that I'm still trying to get my head round?

Attachments

• P1200113.jpeg Hoopoe DEF.1.jpg
    P1200113.jpeg Hoopoe DEF.1.jpg
    307 KB · Views: 61
  • P1200125.jpeg Hoopoe nearing van..jpeg
    P1200125.jpeg Hoopoe nearing van..jpeg
    149.5 KB · Views: 49
  • P1200187.jpeg Hoopoe carrying prey 1..jpeg
    P1200187.jpeg Hoopoe carrying prey 1..jpeg
    193.5 KB · Views: 50
  • P1200189.jpeg Hoopoe passing accom.1..jpeg
    P1200189.jpeg Hoopoe passing accom.1..jpeg
    89.3 KB · Views: 52
  • P1190807.jpeg  African Monarch 1..jpg
    P1190807.jpeg African Monarch 1..jpg
    276 KB · Views: 38
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back