• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

basultoi (1 Viewer)

Sorry Martin, I cannot help you on this guy (he's not one of "mine"). In my notes I only have him as (Don) "Francisco Basulto" a k a "Francisco L. Basulto", collector [probably also preparator/taxidermist?] for Robert Ridgway and Jose Zeledón, during the (U.S. National) Museum-Zeledón Expedition, to Costa Rica, in 1908, ... like here.

After a quick look (by Google) apparently, he collected a lot, many hundreds of birds, during that certain expedition, here, and here, incl. many hummingbirds (which I assume is the reason why you're "curious" on him). ;)

Maybe "Francisco Basulto" could be found in the Family of Zeledón's Cuban wife: Doña Amparo López-Calleja de Zeledón née Basulto ... ? Or not? I haven't got a clue. Who knows?

Good luck finding him in full.

Björn

PS. Beware, there seems to be a lot of Mexican (and US) namesakes "out there"!
--

Last edited:
Maybe "Francisco Basulto" could be found in the Family of Zeledón's Cuban wife: Doña Amparo López-Calleja de Zeledón née Basulto ... ? Or not? I haven't got a clue. Who knows?

At least as well cuban here

Este éxito comercial convirtió a José Cástulo en un rico empresario. Soltero hasta entonces, el 8 de mayo de 1895 y con 49 años de edad, contrajo matrimonio con la cubana Amparo López-Calleja Basulto, de unos 25 años. Su familia, muy activa en las luchas por la independencia de su patria, había llegado a Costa Rica en 1868; esto hizo que, años después, José Cástulo apoyara con generosidad la causa independentista.

And it looks like Francisco could have been her father if we read here.

Amparo López-Calleja was born in Nuevitas, Province of Camagüey, Cuba. August 7, 1870. Francisco, her father, and Manuel her uncle, fought in The Ten Year War against Spain (1868-1878). Due to political reasons, she left Cuba when she was three years old with her two brothers because her life was in serious danger.

In this case I doubt that he could have been born 1882. Thought as well if his name may have been Francisco López Basulto? But no evidence on this. But as well one of her brothers may named as well Francisco. But in Galeria de valores femeninos costarricenses we can find here:

AMPARO LOPEZ-CALLEJA BASULTO DE ZELEDON Nació esta distinguida dama en Camagüey (Cuba). Fueron sus padres: Don Francisco López-Calleja y Pereira y su señora esposa Trinidad Basulto. Doña Amparo tuvo otros hermanos por parte de madre. Entre éstos estaban: Alfredo y Aurelio. Estos hermanos eran hijos de su tío Juan Bautista (primer esposo de doña Trinidad-su madre). Los abuelos de doña Amparo eras asturianos (españoles) y se llamaban: don Juan López-Calleja Menéndez San Pedro y doña Isabel Pereira (quienes se casaron en Cuba); Don Francisco -el padre de doña Amparo- era el dueño de las de las fincas de Bonilla.

Last edited:
According Con ternura de hijo quiere el cubano bueno a Costa Rica

Francisco recorrió Jamaica, viajó a Panamá, luego a Puntarenas, también vivió por un tiempo en la ciudad de Alajuela, después en Cartago y, finalmente, en San José. En el exilio, compró la finca Bonilla en el cantón de Turrialba. Puso en práctica su conocimiento como agricultor y ganadero, estableció un hospital, a donde llegaban personas de todas partes, en particular gente de bajos recursos económicos. Chico López, como lo llamaban sus amigos, se convirtió en hombre querido y popular en la zona. Murió en la ciudad de San José, alrededor de 1915.24 Fue el padre de Amparo López-Calleja Basulto, quien nació el 7 de agosto de 1870, en Nuevitas, provinci de Camagüey, Cuba.

Last edited:
Francisco, su padre ... “Chico López”, como lo llamaban sus amigos, se convirtió en hombre querido y popular en la zona. Murió en la ciudad de San José, alrededor de 1915 (Gómez, 1924).

Would, might fit; "Francisco L. Basulto" ...

Looks like you could be on to something.

Or/alt. possibly a Son of either "Alfredo y Aurelio" (Basulto)... ?

However, I agree, it would be interesting to know the Origin of the Key's "Francisco Ladislao Basulto (b. 1882)".

/B
--

Last edited:
From #5 full article here I doubt about a death 1915 (as a different person Francisco López-Calleja Pereira).

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:
Timberline Wren ssp. Thryorchilus browni basultoi Ridgway, 1908 [T. browni often regarded as monotypic]
Francisco Basulto (fl.1908) was a Cuban who was in Costa Rica and helped Ridgway (q.v.) during his collecting expedition.

So still not solved this guy.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back