• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recent sketches (2 Viewers)

lovely selection of greenshanks- that over-biro approach definitely adds power: patrolling greenshank caught my eye

one comment (since you asked for comments with a !)- the distribution of the biro marks is very balanced and even across the bird- you might see what happens if you if you put stronger, more continuous lines and marks in the areas of shadow and thinner, more broken lines where the light is striking the outline

In the top right of your BF screen, there's an option to select 'User Control Panel' - select this and then from the right-hand menu, select 'Edit Avatar'. This brings up options for adding and/or changing your on-screen visual iD (avatar).
Ps Are juv Shelducks strangely 'cute' or is it me?
Yes, I'm sure you are strangely cute too, Russ ;)

Very nice sketchwork here Russ - you really know how to pick the tricky ones to grapple with!

excellent work as usual, all so full of movement and great poses. I would agree with Ed about using the biro, it seems you've just tentatively outlined your work, you know, you just need to confidently 'see' the line you're going to draw and do it in one quick go (notice that I don't always follow my own advice, I wish I did sometimes!)

excellent work as usual, all so full of movement and great poses. I would agree with Ed about using the biro, it seems you've just tentatively outlined your work, you know, you just need to confidently 'see' the line you're going to draw and do it in one quick go (notice that I don't always follow my own advice, I wish I did sometimes!)

Have to agree with everything Nick, and Ed, have said, especially the part about not following my own advice! But keep at it. The pen marks I think are helpful and as time goes on you should get more confident with them. The day when you start confidently putting down pen lines without any pencil underneath will be a banner day for you I'd guess.

Thanks for the positive comments, guys, (Ed, fancy being my new on-line tutor?) and thanks for the techie lesson, Tim. I shall now go away and play!

Russ

These are great shapes, obviously from field work which makes for lovely drawings.

If I have a niggle, and since you asked, it's the dotted line. It looks a bit like it's been done because it can be rather than for a more lively line which is what I think you're going for? Perhaps it's just because the dashes are a bit regular in length?

Mike

Not really a criticism, more of an observation, and just my opinion.

Mike

Thanks again, guys including Mike's particularly helpful comments. I'd really like to go down the 'line drawing route' as I'm a huge fan of well-rendered pen and ink drawings. Almost all the major bird artists seem to be able to do these to a very high standard. I've done a couple for bird reports which are ok, but I feel I've only been dipping my toe in the water.

A kestrel for a knave ( I could never understand the connection with the 'Adult' magazine of the same name! ) - how about a kestrel for someone trying to learn how to draw birds in flight!
Not too long ago I thought drawing birds in flight was next to impossible,; now I feel it is possible, so long as I keep things very simple. Several sketches of kessies in hovering mode - I have to start somewhere! As I got my eye in, over a period of a few hours, things started to improve.
These tentative efforts have certainly given me the taste for more, but it's all about finding available subjects. I come across Bhg's, corvids (crows, rooks, jacks) and kestrels most of the time I'm in the field - and could easily spend the day studying flight modes - watch this space....
I think, too, that the looser, jizzier style I'm trying to get all round, will perhaps come easier with sketching flying birds.

As always, critique is most valued.

Cheers

Attachments

• 10 October 2010 1.jpg
    10 October 2010 1.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 10 October 2010 (2).jpg
    10 October 2010 (2).jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 10 October 2010 (3).jpg
    10 October 2010 (3).jpg
    53 KB · Views: 37
  • 10 October 2010 (4).jpg
    10 October 2010 (4).jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 29
A few more.

Attachments

• 10 October 2010 (5).jpg
    10 October 2010 (5).jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 10 October 2010 (6).jpg
    10 October 2010 (6).jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 10 October 2010 (7).jpg
    10 October 2010 (7).jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 33
Very nice, Russ! I haven't quite worked up the courage to try flight sketches from life yet, but will. I have, though, seen a ton of Kestrels over here in the states, and you are definitely getting the feel for the hover-hunting they do. They are one of my favorite raptors, and in certain areas where I go birding not too far from my house, they are a pretty easy find. Keep at it!

I'm glad to see that you're proving your old idea of flying birds being impossible totally wrong - these are great. I always seem to ignore the old windhover, maybe I should have a go with these inspirational sketches to aim towards.

I'm glad to see that you're proving your old idea of flying birds being impossible totally wrong - these are great.

Yep, these are very impressive. Just shows I think how you're really developing your powers of observation. And now an inspiration to the rest of us to get on with more flight sketches.

Maybe even a separate thread of flight sketches. Colleen?

Russ,

Just had a quick look at all I'd missed...

I remain astonished by the honesty and originality of your work. It always inspires me and remains truly remarkable.

You are a true ONE OFF and I am a fan!

Brilliant, BRILLIANT!

Cheers guys - you're comments will drive me to the great heights of artistic mastery yet!
Phil! where have you been, sir? I put all this hard work in over the last few weeks especially for you, and I'm wandering if I've been given the cold shoulder! Only kidding, mate - good to see you posting again.

Trying to add life recently by messing around with weight of line and 'tonal balance' (I like the sound of these term but don't really understand them!). I'm trying to also add 'volume' (another one!) as it's now dawning on me how much more life is in the bird when it's not drawn in the 'side-on' fashion.

On the other side I've kicked into touch trying to draw feeding/fast moving waders as ther'es only so many pages in my sketch books!
Couple of preening/snoozing lappies - lovely shapes to play with and always sat in nice easy-to-draw grass.

Twitched this black and white bird with an uptilted bill at Sands Lane Gravel Pits a few weeks ago. Had 20 mins before I had to leave so it was nice to nail it whilst it was behaving in an accommodating manner - it left some thirty mins later for good! Rocking horse doo dah in the Hudds area, too.

Cheers

Russ

Attachments

• 17 October 2010 1.jpg
    17 October 2010 1.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 17 October 2010 (2).jpg
    17 October 2010 (2).jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 17 October 2010 (3).jpg
    17 October 2010 (3).jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 17 October 2010 (4).jpg
    17 October 2010 (4).jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 29
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back