• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recent sketches (1 Viewer)

Great stuff Russ.....if you're having probs with the scanner and those annoying dark patches then try doing what I do - photograph the sketches, so long it's in good light it's so much easier and then you can lighten or darken them down in PS

OMG!

Tremendous!

Preening studies are the new "black!"

I'm heavily into them at the moment. Expect a Waxwing montage of preening studies soon...

(Yes! We finally have some down South! ;) )

Cheers once again, people.
Thanks for the advice re the camera too, Adam. I'll have to try this. I assume you mean I can adjust the tone without any fancy software? This next batch don't seem to have reproduced as poorly. Chunky sketchbook's the problem.

Caught up with an inland Oldsquaw - I love alternative names like these - (long-tailed duck for our American contingent!) at Pugney's CP during the last bit of mild weather we had. What a beastie! I love sea ducks - they're such an hardy bunch. This bird performed superbly, sometimes swimming within 20m of the shore and wasn't even overly bothered when the yocals sent the dog in for swimmies! Sketches were made when it had the courtesy to stay up long enough.
There's some indecipherable scrawl on one sheet reads something like 'Olympus 1.7X teleconverter and adaptor, a model no. and panasonic lumix'. Before I get bombarded with replies from the camera crew I was simply writing down the details of a fellow birders kit as I was very impressed with the reults he got for the money he'd paid. I've no intention of getting into photography - although a dying one it may be, I love the 'cult' of field sketching. Briefly thought about something like this as back-up but then again, hmmmm...........

Cheers

Russ

Attachments

• 20 December 2010 1.jpg
    20 December 2010 1.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 20 December 2010 (2).jpg
    20 December 2010 (2).jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 20 December 2010 (3).jpg
    20 December 2010 (3).jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 20 December 2010 (4).jpg
    20 December 2010 (4).jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 32
Three more. I was pleased with my efforts considering I was suffering from the lurgy at the time.

I'll be back before xmas to bid you a 'good one'.

Cheers

Russ

Attachments

• 20 December 2010 (5).jpg
    20 December 2010 (5).jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 20 December 2010 (6).jpg
    20 December 2010 (6).jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 20 December 2010 (7).jpg
    20 December 2010 (7).jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 29
Great group of sketches, Russ! The essence of the bird is very well captured here, for sure. This species used to be Oldsquaw over here as well, and in fact many of the oldtimers (I include myself there) still prefer it to the 'official' name.

There's some indecipherable scrawl on one sheet reads something like 'Olympus 1.7X teleconverter and adaptor, a model no. and panasonic lumix'. Before I get bombarded with replies from the camera crew I was simply writing down the details of a fellow birders kit as I was very impressed with the reults he got for the money he'd paid.

Cheers

Russ

Russ, I've had two different Panasonic Lumixes. The first I gave to my wife when I bought a new one for myself. I also have no interest at all in becoming a photographer and I've found that the Lumixes have been perfect for me. Not too large, nor too expensive(my last one was under $300 two years ago I think), and with good Leica lens and 18x optical zoom.

My one hesitation in recommending it or any camera is that it's OH SO TEMPTING to use it before sketching. It's just a natural reaction because all you have to do is point and click(more or less....). So if you can promise yourself that you won't let it interfere with your sketching and will only use it after you've sketched, maybe to remember some details, then I'd highly recommend the Panasonic Lumix. I have the FZ28 but the way technology goes there have probably have been 5 new versions since then.

Good luck. I'll be back to look more closely at the sketches when I have more time. Chained to my prints right now.

this is superb sketching Russ, one of my favourite birds - their heads look like marshmallows floating on hot chocolate. The last sketch is particularly good.

Wonderful duck the l-t, and really genuine drawings. I always have a difficulty forming the 'outlines' when there are so many enticing graphic qualities to explore with the darks & lights - not a problem you seem to have; these are spot-on. Beautiful drawings.

Thanks for your comments once again, guys.
Thanks for the info re the camera, Ken. I am tempted with the lumix but I know it'll prove a distraction from what I'm always aiming for! One of the big appeals of drawing for me is the total focus I have to give the subject; there's simply no room for any other thought. I may have mentioned it before but I did try someone's camera on my last trip abroad and the whole experience was totally inane! I know there's a lot more to it than simply pointing and shooting but for me as an absorbing activity it offered zilch!
Recently I'm having to force myself out the door to sketch in really difficult conditions and the appeal of a camera is definitely heightened!
Seriously, I think one would be a good back-up tool for foreign trips where there's simply not enough time to get 'into' the bird.

More posts in a couple of days - 'frozen' in away photography can't compare!

A bit belated but I want to thank everyone for their support and inspiration over the last year and may bid you all a very happy xmas.

Russ

Sub-zero sketching or rather freezing my xxxxxxxxxs off part 1. While you're all tucked up warm indoors painting away some artistically inclined peasants have to brave the cold to stop the guilty feelings eating away at them!
In these last two or three weeks it's been a case of get out there and get it done with the aim of trying to keep my eye in.
An assortment of birds usually on ice! BHG, a new subspecies of teal (anas crecca giganticus), male RB merganser that, once again, spent most of its time snoozing, and sketch of redshank which was patrolling the ice at Calder Wetlands, which, three week ago, resembled Slimbridge but without the centrally-heated hides. Pah, no wonder there were no birders around!

More to come as part of my 2010 send-off!

Ps - notice the child-like crayon marks due to the loss of feeling in my hand!

Attachments

• 28 Dec 1.jpg
    28 Dec 1.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 28 December 2010 (2).jpg
    28 December 2010 (2).jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 28 December 2010 (3).jpg
    28 December 2010 (3).jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 28 December 2010 (4).jpg
    28 December 2010 (4).jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 29
A few more, inc sketches of goosander (common merganser in the U S of A). I admit to being fascinated by the shape(S) of drake goosander heads! I suppopse it's the way the feathering lies which, depending on the mood or posture, it can range from being bell-shaped to something they wore in the 16th century (I'm not an historian). A couple of preening studies of females.

Back in a couple of days to bid you a good one.

Please feel free to pull 'em to bits - a New Year beckons along with the constant urge to try and improve things.

Cheers

Russ

Attachments

• 28 December 2010 (6).jpg
    28 December 2010 (6).jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 46
  • 20 December 2010 (7).jpg
    20 December 2010 (7).jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 28 December 2010 8.jpg
    28 December 2010 8.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 28 December 2010 9.jpg
    28 December 2010 9.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 44
I'll try again!

Attachments

• 28 December 2010 13.jpg
    28 December 2010 13.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 51
  • 28 December 2010 12.jpg
    28 December 2010 12.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 41
  • 28 December 2010 11.jpg
    28 December 2010 11.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 28 December 2010 10.jpg
    28 December 2010 10.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 28 December 2010 (5).jpg
    28 December 2010 (5).jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 42
All excellent Russ! I'm almost tempted to say that the cold weather seems to be improving your line. Like there's more urgency to get down the correct line before your fingers freeze! Either way these are some very strong and well observed drawings.

Lovely work Russ - some juicy shapes and elegant curves with a satisfying degree of 'finish' to the drawings which connects strongly with nature. Fine work.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back