• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello, and a little advice please. (1 Viewer)

bob hastie

Hello everyone, I've heard a lot about this site but only got round to looking at it tonight. Impressed would be an understatment!
As I'm quite new to birding (having been keen as a boy its taken me 25 years to get back into it) i could do with some advise on buying my first scope. I am looking at spending about £600 and was thinking of getting an Opticron ES80 GA ED has any one got any comments on this scope or any suggestions for another option if not this one, remembering that the bugget has to cover scope, case, eyepiece and tripod. Also I was going to wait until the birdfair at rutland before I buy it in case I can pick up a 'show special'.
Many thanks
bob

Hello bob and on behalf of the staff here at BirdForum.net, a warm welcome to you.

Have you had a chance to check out the optics Forum off the first page here? I know quite a few use the Opticron ES80, but there are probably a few scopes you can choose between and there is boatload of info on all the scopes in that forum. Thank you also for taking a moment to say hello to us.

Hi Bob, welcome to birdforum, glad you found us. As K.C says, there's no shortage of information on scopes in the scopes forum... and posting a question down there will provoke an avalance of good advise from other members.
regards,
Andy

Hi Bob,

I own an Opticron ES80 scope with 20-60HDF eyepiece and bought this new for (spookily enough!) £600, inc 2nd hand Swarowski tripod and Opticron stay-on case.

I have been delighted with the set-up and do not regret buying it for an instant.

Have to say though, that this is my first scope, so have never owned another one for extended comparison testing, even though I did prefer the Opticron to others that I field-tested on the day of purchase. I have also peeked through quite a few other scopes subsequently - some much more expensive - and have yet to find one that has made me think "Damn. I wish I'd bought one of those."

Fortunately or unfortunately (depending upon how you look at it!) there are many scopes out there to choose from - only solution really is to find somewhere that you can field-test them side by side and decide which one suits you best.

The Opticron does have my personal recommendation though.

Hope you have some luck - IMO to own any scope is a major breakthrough in birdwatching...

All the best.... Ruby

Hi Bob,

Welcome to BirdForum. I think the best advice is to try before you buy. Also don't skimp on the tripod - you will regret it if you do.

Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back