• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Widest eyepieces (1 Viewer)

lima said:
Please excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is meant by eye relief and why is long eye relief better?

Eye relief is the distance from the last surface of the eyepiece's eye lens(the eye lens is the eyepiece lens closest to your eye) to your eye when viewing through the scope. A more technical explanation is that eye relief is the distance from the eye lens to the exit pupil.

When you place your eye at the proper eye relief distance, you are locating the entrance pupil of your eye at the same location as the scope's exit pupil. This gives you the full view of the scope. People who wear glasses appreciate longer eye reliefs since it allows them enough space between their eye and the eyepiece to keep their glasses on and still locate their eye at the scope's exit pupil and therefore see the entire view.

You want to do the exact same thing when digiscoping. The main problem is that the camera's entrance pupil is usually deep within the camera lens and is usually located somewhere near the iris/shutter mechanism. You can think of the camera as an eye with unusually thick glasses that change thickness when the camera lens is zoomed.

So extra long eye relief may or may not be better depending on your particular camera. But you almost always want around 20mm for the cameras that are popular for digiscoping. When eye reliefs get much shorter, there are fewer cameras that will work well. For many cameras, even longer eye relief can be much better. It just depends on the camera.

But extra long eye relief eyepieces are unusual which is probably why people have focused more on camera choices to match their scope's eye relief rather than the other way around. But with companies like Kowa coming out with eyepieces that have unusually lont eye relief, that may change.

Jay Turberville said:
People who wear glasses appreciate longer eye reliefs since it allows them enough space between their eye and the eyepiece to keep their glasses on and still locate their eye at the scope's exit pupil and therefore see the entire view.
Thanks Jay for your help. I wear glasses, so I have difficulty as you said. If I got a longer eye relief lens does this mean I'd also need a different adaptor to get the camera further away? I've got a 4500 and Kowa TSN-823 scope.
Lima

lima said:
If I got a longer eye relief lens does this mean I'd also need a different adaptor to get the camera further away? I've got a 4500 and Kowa TSN-823 scope.

You might, it depends on how much eye relief the eyepiece has. Anything much over 20mm of eye relief may require additional spacing when used with a CP4500.

It also depends on whether the adapter you have allows some adjustment of the camera to eyepiece distance. Some do and some don't.

BTW, you can add some space to a non-adjustable adapter by stacking filters that have the filter glass removed.

Jay Turberville said:
You might, it depends on how much eye relief the eyepiece has. Anything much over 20mm of eye relief may require additional spacing when used with a CP4500.

BTW, you can add some space to a non-adjustable adapter by stacking filters that have the filter glass removed.

Thanks Jay, for the info and the tip. I didn't know about eye relief (only being a beginner) and have taken shots with my 4500 lens resting on the rubber surrounding my 32x wide Kowa eyepiece lens, for some hand held shots at just under full zoom. These were pretty sharp. I've yet to set up some controlled testing but I seem to sometimes get better shots like this than using the adaptor, especially if the subject is close. From what you've said, this doesn't sound possible or is my adaptor technique wrong?
Lima

lima said:
I didn't know about eye relief (only being a beginner) and have taken shots with my 4500 lens resting on the rubber surrounding my 32x wide Kowa eyepiece lens, for some hand held shots at just under full zoom. These were pretty sharp. I've yet to set up some controlled testing but I seem to sometimes get better shots like this than using the adaptor, especially if the subject is close. From what you've said, this doesn't sound possible or is my adaptor technique wrong?
Lima

I'm assuming your 32x is the older design and that it therefore has 16.5mm of eye relief. The CP4500 does better with a few millimeters more eye relief. So handholding the CP4500 probably gives you more FOV and less "soft" vignetting than any adapter because you can probably get the camera a few millimeters closer than with the adapter.

"Better shots" could mean just about anything, so its hard to conclude much of anything from that. I also don't know what adapter you use and I'm not personally familiar with Kowa scopes and eyepieces and the adapters commonly used with them. But if you have a steady hand, it makes perfectly good sense to me that handholding might produce better shots for you. For some people, handholding is the preferred method.

If I'm wrong, and you have the new 32x with long eye relief, then its time to take a look at your adapter and see if it can bring the camera closer to the eyepiece. With the new eyepiece having 20mm of eye relief, I don't think you can get it too close - though that would be possible with the extra long eye relief eyepieces.

Thanks Jay,
You've given me lots to think about. I'll have to check which eyepiece I have. Scope is second hand and I think it's 3 years old.
Lima

Not sure why I didn't reply earlier - must have been too busy at time and forgot to get back. Thanks for all your interest and help.
lima

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back