• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Celestron hummingbird 50ED or Barska naturescape 50ed (1 Viewer)

jklaassen33

I'm thinking of buying one of these scopes. Wondering if anyone who has either one of them could weigh in. I could buy either one for 160 Canadian. My biggest question is whether the extra reach of the barska is worth it. Hummingbird is 7-22 and Barska is 12-36. I do want the longest reach while maintaining resolution

I had a good look through the larger hummingbird. It's lovely at the lower end, but at the top magnification it seemed quite soft. A fair bit of CA too, more than you might have expected from the 'ED' label. Not a patch on say the Nikon ED or Opticron MM3/4 50 (which are admittedly larger, and more expensive).

K. Thanks for the response. That's exactly what I was wondering. Not sure if the Barska would be any better. I might end up waiting for a deal on a Vanguard Endeavor HD65mm.

I ended up purchasing the Barska Ed50mm. It should arrive at the end of the week. At that point I will test it and let you guys know what I think. I have an 80ed triplet telescope to compare it against

jk,

I had the 50 mm Barska 50 ED and did a review of it a couple of years ago. Solid little scope with respectable optical performance. Better than the Celestron as I tried that scope last year. I think you made a good choice provided the quality control is good with your unit.

The Celestron is crazy underrated, no CA, sharp to the edge, no ghosting, super sharp up 18x pretty good at 22x, I love it!

Astro Eyepieces on Celestron Hummingbird

Just a heads up. The Celestron allows for the use of astro eyepieces.

rmel66.

I had heard that it can use astro eyepiece but couldn't find any word of how it performed with other eyepieces. So far I'm really impressed with the Barska. It's eyepiece is removable but I haven't tried putting in any other eyepieces yet. The extra range of the Barska definitely has been nice to have. The only thing I don't like is at 36 power eye it's not very forgiving with eye positioning

I did note that the Celestron hummingbird 50ED range of power seems off, seems to start at 9-10x then 7x when comparing to another binoculars at 7x

can you go into more details....is there a locking collar, to hold them in place?

There is a locking collar, I set mine up with an adapter to my A7RIII and a Celestron 1 1/4' adapter tube
So far I can only focus close up not far where I wanted it to work
Doing something wrong :h?:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-05-04 at 8.55.45 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-05-04 at 8.55.45 PM.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 168
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back