• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

birds missing (1 Viewer)

abp

Dear Colleagues,
While in the garden around 4.10pm where I live the was no wild birds around my garden to be seen whilst I was bird watching. It seemed as though they had all gone for a nap or whatever and then later on just suddenly appeared at the feeder about 45 minutes later. I have never come across this before. Could anyone shed any light. Also does anybody recommend the book " The Secret Lives of Garden Birds by Dominic Couzens ".

Looking forward to hearing from you soon

Kindest Regards

Brian Pemberton

Brian, I presume they were watching Robert Key pound the Windies (which means I haven't got a clue!!).

I enjoyed the book quite light and aimed at us novices.

Hi Brian, not sure why the sudden lull, but between 2-30pm-3-30pm we get a very quite hour, then its feed time again till dusk. The book is a good read.
bert.

Brian - The same thing happens often here in the US. I especially notice it with the goldfinches and cardinals. Do you keep your feeders filled? Bill

I agree about mid afternoon it all goes a bit quiet but I also get a similar thing mid morning, around 10.30. I've noticed this whilst at some reserves but with the small birds who usually visit feeders. Is it a small bird thing?

This always happened around 1.30pm in gardens I've watched and you'd be hard pressed to find any small birds in the garden. Don't recall if it happened with the larger birds though.

I have also noticed in my yard that all the birds suddenly disappear. Some of these times I have detected a raptor (hawk or kestrel) in the vicinity. And sometimes I believe the feeder birds have discovered a hungry raptor nearby, which has escaped my detection. When the threat is gone the birds then return to the feeders.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back