• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Prion - Tasmania pelagic 10th October (1 Viewer)

Chris_D

I am favouring Fairy prion for these

Attachments

• IMG_0518.JPG
    IMG_0518.JPG
    938.9 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0536.JPG
    IMG_0536.JPG
    348.3 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0639.JPG
    IMG_0639.JPG
    533.7 KB · Views: 122
Antarctic Prion P. (v.) desolata . Fairy and Fulmar Prions lack an blackish eye patch, have no black / dusky tip to the underwing primaries, a sharply delineated black tail and a slender / narrower bill. Broad-billed has less extensive grey on the breast sides, most of the time it's not really noticeable, and an even heavier black bill.

Chris

Hi Chris,

I would favour Fairy for this bird.

Antarctic Prion would have a darker more extensive grey half collar which is lacking in the bird in the first photo.

The face markings would be more prominent, the grey in the head would be darker and the supercilium would be more prominent.

In the third photo, the extensive black in the tail rules out Antarctic, Slender-billed and Salvin's and looks good for Fairy.

I'll try to find some prion photos of my own from Tasmania,

cheers,

Rob

Hi Rob,
IMO the first photo, although slightly 'burnt out', shows largish grey patches to the side of the breast and the bill is rather too heavy, particularly noticeable in #2. Having said that, in #3, the tail does look better for Fairy but, allowing for the rather harsh light, doesn't the mask look rather too dark with a distinct blackish patch in front of the eye and the crown darker than the rest of the upperparts?

Chris

Hi
Thanks for the discussion. There were two visits both lasting three minutes. I was under the impression that it was a single species but have been trying to look for features that would indicate more. It was so rough that I was taking pictures in a lift all the time and could not say for sure that it was two birds or more. We did not see two togther at any time.
These are the best shots from the first sightings:
IMG_0517.JPG IMG_0518.JPG IMG_0519.JPG IMG_0524.JPG IMG_0536.JPG

The first two were sequential and show how the patch beside the forewing changed with the light

Last edited:
And these are from the second
Thanks
Chris

Attachments

• IMG_0639.JPG
    IMG_0639.JPG
    533.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0645.JPG
    IMG_0645.JPG
    813.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0646.JPG
    IMG_0646.JPG
    515.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0647.JPG
    IMG_0647.JPG
    487.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0648.JPG
    IMG_0648.JPG
    347.7 KB · Views: 28
Hi Chris,

I think the dark area around the eye and the dark grey sides to the breast are due to shadows/lighting effects and not quite in the range of Antarctic.

I find the bill of Antarctic is broader based and narrowing towards the tip where Fairy is more parallel sided.

I've attached a couple of pics of Antarctic and Fairy from earlier this year taken in reasonable light. The dark grey collar of Antarctic is quite distinctive as is the facial pattern.

Another thing I've noticed is the flight patterns are different. Fairy is pretty erratic while Antarctic flight is more like a small Pteradroma.

These guys are really tricky and single birds can be difficult unless you have a lot of experience with both species.

cheers,

Rob

Attachments

• _MG_0438.jpg
    _MG_0438.jpg
    362.6 KB · Views: 54
  • _MG_0190.jpg
    _MG_0190.jpg
    383.4 KB · Views: 55
Rob, that is the best image of Antarctic that exist on BF so far, I believe. Many more people would enjoy it if you also upload to the gallery here. I would also like to upload it to our opus page.

Niels

Thanks all

Some comments from Paul Brooks who runs the trips, which I definitely recommend; we had six species of albatross as well.

"Both birds are Fairy Prions (if they are two birds, which I think they are). The blue shoulder patch of an Antarctic/Salvin's Prion would be sharply demarcated from the white underparts, as you can see well in Rob's photo of Antarctic Prion on the forum. The bird/s in your photos show a diffuse border from the blue of the shoulder patch to the white of the underparts. The tail band is too thick for anything other than Fairy or Fulmar Prion, too and bill structure rules out Fulmar Prion."

Hopefully when working there again next year I will be able to test this on other species.

Regards
Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back