• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron or Bushnell? (1 Viewer)

JMac

I'm about to invest in a new pair of binoculars and have researched the various websites etc. I have pretty well decided on Roof Prism and 10x40 or 42 as the size and style which best suit.

Having decided which style and size was best suited now comes the difficult bit price and make. The price is pretty well fixed by the ususal budgetary contraints at about £200.

The 2 glasses which immediately fall into this bracket are the "Opticron Countryman BGA T" and the "Bushnell Natureview R/P".

Can anyone out there help me make a decision based on experience rather than sales pitch, or know of any other bins which would fit my brief?

This is by no means expert advice, but from a straw poll of folk I've met over the years - go for the opticron.
They are often considered the best quality optics (both bins and scopes) at affordable prices, and the experiences of customer service I've heard about them is also high, which contrasts with Bushnell, of which I've only ever heard poor things about (like bad customer service, new optics steaming up after wet weather birding, shoddy close focussing, etc; etc; ).

Last edited:
mike coleman said:
This is by no means expert advice, but from a straw poll of folk I've met over the years - go for the opticron.
They are often considered the best quality optics (both bins and scopes) at affordable prices, and the experiences of customer service I've heard about them is also high, which contrasts with Bushnell, of which I've only ever heard poor things about (like bad customer service, new optics steaming up after wet weather birding, shoddy close focussing, etc; etc;).

Thanks Mike, having spoken with Opticron in the past about my scope I think you're right about their Customer Service. They were very helpful in sorting out a new eyepiece for a Classic IF I own,

Regards JMac

JMac said:
I'm about to invest in a new pair of binoculars and have researched the various websites etc. I have pretty well decided on Roof Prism and 10x40 or 42 as the size and style which best suit.

Having decided which style and size was best suited now comes the difficult bit price and make. The price is pretty well fixed by the ususal budgetary contraints at about £200.

The 2 glasses which immediately fall into this bracket are the "Opticron Countryman BGA T" and the "Bushnell Natureview R/P".

Can anyone out there help me make a decision based on experience rather than sales pitch, or know of any other bins which would fit my brief?

Have used a pair of Bushnell Natureview 8x42 for 8 years, excellent value for money, image as sharp as new.
Keep them as dry as possible! misting can be a problem if allowed to get too wet.
Also, if anyone is considering buying a second pair for for business trips, keeping in the car etc, give them a try!

Hi JMac, My wife and I have had 8x32 Bushnell Natureviews for many years and have been quite satisfied with their performance. Unfortunately my pair developed a fault with the focus wheel and were returned for repair to the manufacturers, Vickers. I bought them from Focus Optics and they sent them for repair. After weeks and weeks (about 20 I seem to remember) they were retuned dirty but repaired but only lasted a few hours before the same fault re-occurred. They were sent back to Vickers and returned 'repaired' but in fact had not been repaired at all. Focus Optics phoned them up and told them what they thought of their service and Vickers then sent me a new pair of Natureviews. I have upgraded my bins since but will now never consider Bushnell because of this incident.

I have no experience of Opticron bins.

Dave.

You might want to have a look at the Opticron Travellers - 8 or 10 x 32, before committing yourself. They are much more compact than the others you've mentioned, which may or may not, matter to you. I've had a pair for eighteen months and apart from limited depth of field and a very stiff dioptre adjustment I've been very pleased with them.

Price is spot on your buget...

The Natureview may be OK, have not checked it out. My plan is to buy anything else before Bushnell. I have a few, but I also have a few I have a hard time using or disposing of. Maybe a donation to a nature center that has none at their bird window.

OK it seems that Opticron has the verdict.

Now that I have had a further look at Opticron there seems to be 2 other pairs which may warrant a look at, other than settling for the "Opticron Countryman BGA T". They are the "Opticron Imagic 10x42 BGA PC ASF Roof Prism" and the "Opticron 10x42 BGA Classic (Oasis)".

Although these are both dearer than the Countryman by £100 or so, is true to say that the more you pay the better, or is there not much between the three?

I've got the Opticron Imagic 10x42 PORROS, and they are stonking cosidering the price £125. Was going to get some roofs but glad i didn't. Seems you have to spend twice the price to get the same optical quality with roofs.

Well I'm afraid to admit that I never went for the Opticron's in the end, I did try them out last weekend and you were all right they are good.......and before you say "Oh no he went for the Bushnell's instead".......the answer was NO.

I went for the Minox BD 10 x 42 BR ALT. I tried them out locally first and was very impressed, albeit a bit on the heavy side, I'll just have work a bit harder at the gym.

In the end I got them from good old Warehouse Express for £299.99 a stonking £190 under the highstreet price.

Many thanks for all you BF members out there for your input and also for pointing me at Warehouse Express and web based emporium I will definately keep an eye on in the future and add to my growing list of recommendations.

Once again thanks and keep on birding!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back