• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Optolyth 22x70 (1 Viewer)

CR125Honda

Hi all,
New member here.
Hoping I might be able to gather some info on my newly acquired spotting scope.

Just purchased this Optolyth 22x70 spotting scope from someone that inherited it.
Plan on using it to view wildlife, mostly eagles and various other birds near Steamboat Springs, CO.
Also for viewing targets at the range.

I'm a rookie but the view through the scope seems to me to be fantastic.
My concern is the condition of the coating on the front lens.
Not really sure but I'm guessing it's been partially removed by improper cleaning.
Looking through the scope, I can't see any spots or impaired view due to the damaged coating.

Should I worry about this?
Can it be properly repaired/re-coated?
If so, considering the age of the scope (made when there was an East and West Germany), would a repair be cost prohibitive?
Advise/recommendations would be appreciated.

Regards, Ken

Attachments

• Optolyth (1)a.jpg
    Optolyth (1)a.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 151
  • Optolyth (2)a.jpg
    Optolyth (2)a.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 124
  • Optolyth (3)a.jpg
    Optolyth (3)a.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 131
Hi Ken,

first of all, welcome to Birdforum!

It looks indeed like the coatings on the objective lens are damaged from improper cleaning - unfortunately a repair is probably not cost efficient given the fact that these are usually going for 250 to 350€ on german ebay.

I would use it as it is - there will be a bit less light at dusk, but probably invisible without direct comparison.

Joachim

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back