• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

EP Advice? (1 Viewer)

Bencw

Hi, I just aquired a large 70mm objective, 90 degree angle eyepiece tripod mounted binocular. It came with 18x EPs, and accepts 1.25 EPs. The focal length is 463mm, so max mag is 50x. I want to up the magnification a bit, with good quality 1.25 EPs, and having looked around, couldn't really decide on a fixed mm EP, so feel my best bet might be a pair of Baader 8 - 24mm zoom EPs ? It seems as long as you buy them together, same new model, there should be no problems with matching FLs. I know the Baader's are well thought of for scopes, so thought this might be best forum to ask. Appreciate any thoughts or other advice?
Regards. Ben.

Hi,

while the Baader zoom is quite good, it's also about 60mm in diameter, which might be a problem with IPD...

Joachim

Hi,

while the Baader zoom is quite good, it's also about 60mm in diameter, which might be a problem with IPD...

Joachim

Thanks Joachim, thats something to consider that I had not thought of, 60mm DA is pretty big and I have a quite narrow IPD.. Now wondering if a pair of Baader hyperion 10mm or 13mm fixed EPs might be a better bet, that would give me a choice of about 45x (10mm) or about 39x (13mm) and the 18x that I already have. Or maybe the Baader Morpheus, that seems ideal for bino's although they don't do 10mm in that, the 9mm would be 51x 1mm too much for my focal length. Do you know diameter of the fixed hyperion Baader's?

Ben

Last edited:
Hi,

since I only own the Baader zoom, I can't simply measure a fixed EP... but from what I saw on online drawings, they seem to be quite fat - there's an M54 thread below the eyecup and that's not the widest part... so I'd guess 56mm plus.

The morpheus series seem better suited although costly. The Explore Scientific 82 degree series is also worth a look, cheaper than morpheus, quite slim (47mm) and work very well with fast instruments up to f4 - like their Nagler brethren eye relief is so-so around 16mm for the 8.8 and 11mm models.

http://www.bresser.de/out/media/775db1930717beaea53e238307e72fbe.pdf

Joachim

Ben, if you're looking to use fixed ep's try the BST Explorer, I have a 12mm and a 15mm and they are excellent. They're not weather proof, but neither are the Baaders.

Many thanks Joachim & Ron, that's a great help to me, I have been looking at so many I'm confusing myself. I will have a good look at both, they are both cheaper than Baader, the BST looks very good value.

Sorry, just another question if you could? i'm not that well up on focal lengths apart from basic calculations, I know my bins max mag is x50, ideally a 10mm EP (46x) would suit, but a 9mm EP at 463mm FL, will give me 51.4, would I get away with that do you think?
I intend to go for 12mm EPs (38x) but would also like to give it a try at or near the max.

Thanks
Ben

Last edited:
Hi,

if your bino is well made, an exit pupil of slightly less than 1mm can still be ok, but it's going to be rather dark when light is failing.
I'd recommend sth between 30 and 40x for starters like the 12mm BST which is indeed quite nice albeit not very wide at 60 degree afov. You could also try the 8mm version for 58x - just get one EP from some place with a good return policy (or a brick & mortar store, of course).

Joachim

The BST's don't have the widest FoV, but they're not bad. I've tried a few EP's over the last few months tele-vue, Baader Morpheus, Pentax and Opticron and apart from the FoV they are as good as any.

Many thanks both.

I will give the 12mm BST a try for now. Nothing to lose at the price, I don't think the FOV will be a big issue for me.

Ben

Ordered the 12mm BST x2 today, this is just a photo of the top of a distant street lamp taken by just holding my camera to one of the original 18x eyepieces to give an rough idea of the binoculars quality, it seems pretty decent to me. Thanks for the advice.

Ben

Attachments

• lamp.JPG
    lamp.JPG
    20.4 KB · Views: 81
  • lamp..JPG
    lamp..JPG
    24 KB · Views: 78
Yep, very pleased with the BST 12mm, really good for the price. I had a bit of a fright when I first put them in, had a double image, but it was because one EP had not seated properly, all fine with a little jiggle. Thanks.

They are good, I don't think you will find single bad report on them, especially for the price. Would the 15mm not have been a better choice though? would have given you a really nice 30x?

Many thanks Joachim & Ron, that's a great help to me, I have been looking at so many I'm confusing myself. I will have a good look at both, they are both cheaper than Baader, the BST looks very good value.

Sorry, just another question if you could? i'm not that well up on focal lengths apart from basic calculations, I know my bins max mag is x50, ideally a 10mm EP (46x) would suit, but a 9mm EP at 463mm FL, will give me 51.4, would I get away with that do you think?
I intend to go for 12mm EPs (38x) but would also like to give it a try at or near the max.

Thanks
Ben

Always tempting to go for the max, in my experience, usually ends up in disappointment though.

They are good, I don't think you will find single bad report on them, especially for the price. Would the 15mm not have been a better choice though? would have given you a really nice 30x?

Yep, I think it might, I will probably get the 15mm as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back