• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recommendation for June? (1 Viewer)

2520years

Lurking in the bushes is wrong.
Hi All

I'm going away on my own early June. I'd like somewhere hot, but my favourite pastime is walking round nature reserves while looking for birds.
:t:

The best place I've been is Ria Formosa in Portugal and I'd like to go to Europe again (for price reasons).

There must be hundreds of places around, but it's hard to find out where they are. Can anyone recommend somewhere (not Spain though)?

Any replies will be appreciated, thanks very much!

Just go to cloudbirders.com and you'll find hundreds of trip reports from all over Europe. Enjoy your trip wherever you end up going :t:

Cloudbirders I did not know before.
I only no
www.birdtours.co.uk

Greece is worth to visit, good birdlife and nice landscape.
If it is hot in low areas, then go higher into mountains.

Begin of June is also very good time for Corse.
Some interesting birds included rarities like Corsian Nuthatch.
Very mice mountain scenery, even very close to coast.

Best regards
Dieter

I'll give that a go, thanks!
If you base yourself in Alghero,Sardinia or just outside the town, there are some great bird habitats and fantastic scenery nearby.
The Porte Conte Natural Park is on hand with lots of walks and tracks.The Mont Timidone forest reserve is huge and is a reserve within Natural Park with way marked paths.
You can get cheap flights there or book a package with Thomsons or Easy Jet.
We went to Zante last June and stayed at Keri Village up in the hills on the unspoilt west coast.Again the scenery and birds were brilliant.
There are no nature reserves there but you can walk to your heart's content amongst the wonderful habitats of woodland,maquis and coastal cliffs.
The west coast is nothing like the busy resorts on the east coast- its another world!
Jet 2 fly there so you should be able to get a cheap flight.
You can get away with either not hiring a car.
Albatross is right about Corsica- a stunning island.
Send me a private message if you would like more details.

Last edited:
Greece, Corsica, Zante and Sardinia all sound like good options, and I've never been to any of those before. I like the idea of not needing a car too.

Thanks to you both, I'll do some research today.

Buy the way, You can combine Sardinia and Corse.
The ferry is only few miles.
Even from ferry there is a chance to see some shearwaters.

For Corse I would recommend car and tent.
Camping places are almost everywhere.
Other accomodations have bad price performance level.

Last edited:
Thanks. I've been researching today and Corsica is looking favourite. It does look like an amazing place to be.

Thanks. I've been researching today and Corsica is looking favourite. It does look like an amazing place to be.
If you base yourself in Calvi,Corsica you can explore the dramatic north west coast,the Balagne region and the northern coast.There is an airport at Calvi and several UK flights go there.
The scenery is spectacular and there are some tough walking trails.
The only problem is you'll need a car to get around.
The Feliceto area in the Balagne has lots of unspoilt habitats and it was teeming with birds.
The island must be one of the most scenic places in Europe and still not overrun with hoards of tourists.
The Alghero region in Sardinia is reminiscent of Corsica and there are possible locations and accommodation where you can stay to avoid hiring a car- and do some walking around nature reserves.There are one or two hotels within the Porte Conte natural park where you can walk to the birdwatching locations or use the bus which was reliable.It runs from Alghero to the Natural Park.I noticed Easy Jet included a campsite at Porticciollo with lodge type accommodation, with a package within the Porte Conte Natural Park.It is in a brilliant location for walking and birdwatching. Most of our walks began or ended around this area and there were tons of birds.Once you are there you would not need to drive but I'm not sure what sort of shopping facilities they have there.The nearest shops are in Alghero which is about 15 miles from here.
Again, if you stayed in Alghero you could just use the bus to get to Porto Conte Natural Park.
Enjoy!

Last edited:
I recommend Poland.

Especially the Biebrza and Bialowieza areas.

All Woodpeckers and several Owls are possible and Highlights like Aquatic Warbler, Greater Spotted Eagle, more Black Storks, that one can count, as well as many more Eastern European Species like River Warbler, Red breasted Flycatcher or Thrush Nightingale.

June is not too late and it will be quite warm. Flights to Warsaw are cheap from Germany at least and it is easy to go by car in Poland.

If You go to corse, check the forum last year in June.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=326709

French people starts vacation mostly from middle of July.
Also many tourist from Italy travel to Corse, but also July or August.

Most beautiful is bay of Porto. Good for sunset, even the beach is with small stones.
Not far, about 500 m east of Ota, starts spectacular gorges hikes, in different directions.

Near bay of Porto is an 1.200 m high rock.

http://www.korsika.fr/img/big/0000000222.jpg?v=1

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back