• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Excellent adapter (1 Viewer)

Jay23

I have a Canon A95 and an Apo Televid 77 with 20-60x. I've been trying to get hold of a Lieca digiscoping adapter and am pretty glad that they were not in stock at WE as it forced me to look elsewhere. I finally bought a Baader Microstage 6030 Digitaql camera adapter which has proven to be fantastic and around one third of the price of the Lieca.
One word of warning: The A95 will not line up with the Televid eyepiece on it's own, however when used in conjunction with a cable release adapter the camera is positioned on the Baader perfectly. Once set up, the whole assembly can be mounted and demounted in seconds without loosing ajustment. Finally - all my problems sorted! I have to say that the set up I have now is superb and when mounted on a Manfrotto 055 tripod the whole thing is rock solid. Digiscoping is now exiting and enjoyable rather than frustrating and dissapointing!

Looks a good adapter.

I have been looking at the Avian Digimaster II, but this could do the job i want. Is it possible to 'swing' the camera away from the eye piece?

Wally

wally170 said:
Looks a good adapter.

I have been looking at the Avian Digimaster II, but this could do the job i want. Is it possible to 'swing' the camera away from the eye piece?

Wally

Hi there,

The adapter is pretty good but unfortunately it doesn't allow the camera to be swung away for viewing but perhaps some birders out there may have devised a solution.
Cheers, Ian

Cowser said:
...perhaps some birders out there may have devised a solution.
Well, my "solution" is to remove the whole adapter-camera-combo for viewing. It usually does not require fine tuning to put it back on, but this adapter is clearly not designed to be rapidly switched on or off.

Ilkka

Well, for £30 i couldn't over look this, so i have ordered a Baader Microstage 6030 Digital camera adapter. Should be with me intime for some good photographs next weekend.

Wally

Not had chance to text this adapter out properly, but early indications are that i made the right choice. Nice and easy to fit and relatively easy to take on and off without messing up the camera position.

I should hopefully have made better use of it next weekend, i will let you all know what i think.

Wally

wally170 said:
Not had chance to text this adapter out properly, but early indications are that i made the right choice. Nice and easy to fit and relatively easy to take on and off without messing up the camera position.

I should hopefully have made better use of it next weekend, i will let you all know what i think.

Wally
Where did youi get this item i found a website but could not understand the lingo

ChrisSearle said:
One word of warning: The A95 will not line up with the Televid eyepiece on it's own, however when used in conjunction with a cable release adapter the camera is positioned on the Baader perfectly. Once set up, the whole assembly can be mounted and demounted in seconds without loosing ajustment. Finally - all my problems sorted! I have to say that the set up I have now is superb and when mounted on a Manfrotto 055 tripod the whole thing is rock solid. Digiscoping is now exiting and enjoyable rather than frustrating and dissapointing!
Chris
I take it that you found that the camera lens could not be raised enough to line up? If so I've had the same problem with my Casio Exilim Pro 600. My solution was to use a spare tripod bush that I happened to have to hand to raise the camera on the mount.

I'd endorse your comments re the quality and ease of use of the adaptor. For the price it's something of a bargain. I think I'm going to be able to leave my camera, together with digiscoping lens, more or less permanently coupled and simply drop out my prime viewing lens and drop in the digiscoping lens/adapter combo as required. With the Pentax twist lock collar arrangment its possible to swap lenses in a matter of a couple of seconds and its also possible to level the camera horizontally equally easily and quickly, so things are looking promising!

John

I have been using this adapter now for a few weeks and i have to say, although a little combersome it is well worth £30. I thought i would show off some of the images taken using this adpater with a Canon S45 on a Nikon 80mm Spotting Scope.

Canon S45. No zoom. No Scope

s45_nozoom.jpg

Canon S45. 3x Optical Zoom. No Scope

s45_3xoptical.jpg

Canon S45. 3x Optical Zoom. Nikon Spotting Scope 80mm, 20x Zoom

s45_3xoptical20xscope.jpg

Wally

Can someone advise - I may be wrong but I am assuming that because the adapter is designed to work with 31.7mm and 50.8mm eyepieces it wouldn't work with Fuji Finepix S5600 which accepts a 55mm thread.

cheers
Gordon

Gordon said:
Can someone advise - I may be wrong but I am assuming that because the adapter is designed to work with 31.7mm and 50.8mm eyepieces it wouldn't work with Fuji Finepix S5600 which accepts a 55mm thread.

cheers
Gordon
Gordon
If you can measure the diameter of your S5600's lens I'll have a look at the adaptor and see if it will fit..

John

Excellent Adapter

John Fleet said:
Gordon
If you can measure the diameter of your S5600's lens I'll have a look at the adaptor and see if it will fit..

John
Thanks John,

I can't get a really acurate measurement but it's at least 60mm and reckon that 62mm would be closer.

cheers
Gordon

Gordon said:
Thanks John,

I can't get a really acurate measurement but it's at least 60mm and reckon that 62mm would be closer.

cheers
Gordon
Gordon,
That's going to really tight! Can't say for sure that it wil fit your camera. The clamp is not hemispherical in shape but rather more a shallow V shape. So whilst at its widest its more than 65 mm at its narrowest its rather less - if that makes sense. I think that you'd be wise to check it out further before purchasing.

John

Sherwoods have one at £30 that fits eye pieces up to 60 mm, looks the same to me?
[Baader Microstage]

S. G.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back