• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Feeder location advice needed (1 Viewer)

digitalbirdy

3 weeks ago I setup a bank of 5 different feeders on a line (well it was a bamboo pole actually) and it is set very near a 6 feet tall wooden fence - at a height of about 5.5 feet. This is about 100 feet away down the garden.

But not a single bird has eaten any of the different treats on offer.

Yet I have a single feeder near my window where the cat sits all day - and the sparrows and robins empty it every 3 days - despite the fact the cat is only 5 or 6 feet away.

I would have thought the multiple feeders at the bottom of the garden would have been most popular - but it isnt being used at all - even when I let the nearby one run empty.

I feel this must be a location issue, but I can't figure out why they don't like it. So what is the best sort of position to place a variety of feeders in - any tips appreciated.

Many Thanks

Adrian

My feeders are located 2 ft away from my patio doors and one with suction pads actually on the doors and also some further down the garden, more in the 'wilder' parts, and am regularly rewarded with lots of feathered visitors. Do you put anything different in the furthest feeders? I use the same sort of food in all of my feeders. I had a cat that used to sleep very close to the feeders last summer, he died in the winter :(. Now I have a very active kitten who loves looking at the birds, but that doesn't stop them coming to feast.

Hi,

I had the same experience a few months ago when I relocated my feeding station. It took several weeks for the birds to accept it. I kept the feeders about half full and made sure the seed was fresh at all times. I also tossed some seed on the ground to attract ground feeders. First only a few birds stopped by, but soon my feeders were busier than ever. Keep trying.

John

I have heard some sources say to place the feeder somewhere where birds can see all around them for approaching danger but also close to cover so they can escape from birds of prey but look it up in case I am wrong I don't want all your birds to be eaten. Located too close to low bushes can give cats cover to attack so bear this in mind when locating your feeders.

Many thanks

Thank you all for taking time out to reply.

The new feeders have a great variety of different foods - more so than the near ones. I have now moved them slightly to see if they will gai more acceptance - and within 1/2 hour 1 blue tit visited - which I thought, yes, a great start. But since then - as they - not a birdy in sight!

I will be patient and see what happens when it gets a little cooler, to if that makes a difference.

Location is obviously a major issue in our garden though. As I have 4 sunflower kernel feeders, and 1 gets emptied almost daily. The others take months!!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back