• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon XM2 (1 Viewer)

Sandpiper

Mike Powell
I am thinking of buying this model for making videos of wildlife, particularly birds.

Does anyone use one of these?

Is it possible to use a converter lens to obtain more magnification?

Are there any downsides to using this model?

Would I do better to get a used XL1/1S which I could buy for a little more money?

Sorry for asking so many questions, but I want to make the right decision and don't want to waste a lot of money on unsuitable equipment.

Any feedback would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Mike.

Hi Mike,

I used this model before selling it to buy a Sony HDR-FX7.

I used a variety of lenses bought cheaply off ebay but the best one, and most expensive was the Sony HD 1.7 which will screw straight on and auto focus perfectly.

The XL series have the benefit of interchangeable Canon SLR lenses with the right adapter, if you already own a Canon (D)SLR this might be a good option.

I wanted portability and light weight which the XM2 provided.

If you search Birdforum TV & IBC you will find my videos which were mostly taken using the XM2. Hope this helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back