• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tmatboey for non-birders (1 Viewer)

pandachris

Hi

We're seriously considering a short trip to Cambodia and taking tours with the Sam Veasna Centre. We'll be birding but our two travelling companions, although keen on wildlife and the outdoors generally are not birders.

Has anyone who has been to the Eco-lodge at Tmatboey got any views on what it might be like for non-birders? Would they be bored senseless for a couple of days or could they find things to do? Alternatively, would excusrions to see ibises include enough of interest to make it worth their while?

I think that if you have a general interest in nature then it will be OK. The place is so full of birds, and colorful ones at that, that even non-birders should be fascinated. When do you plan to go? There is a trip report on my site, but I still stayed at the old accommodation.

Thanks Hanno

It will be early to mid-May 2010. We're off to Poland tomorrow. I'll have a good look at your report when I get back next week.

Not a good time for the Ibises as far as I am aware of.

Mid May = early wet season = very hot and humid = lots of wet places for the Ibis to hide = you walking a very long way and dipping!

Check with SVC, but that would be my assessment I'm afraid.

Hi Chris,

There are half day excursions into the village to 'see' village life. A villager will act as your guide and has been trained and is learning english, takes you round the various parts of the village. This is just $5 and is fun - many non-birders and birders have commented on how how interesting it is.
They will get to see how palm wine is made, ox-cart making (which the village is locally famous for) and the general day-to-day running of a local village - an experience you can't get elsewhere.

Also, I would recommend they drive further up towards the Thai border and spend half a day at the Preah Vihear Temple - a remote temple from Angkor times, fascinating place with few visitors. Unfortunately there was some Thai-Cambodian conflict earlier this year so check with SVC that it has cleared up now.
Also en-route you can stop at Koh Ker Temple if they haven't been templed-out by that point.

Time of year - mid-May is pretty bad. If its not torrential rain it will be a scorcher. Though you will still see the ibis - White-shouldered will still be at their roost sites and Giant Ibis will be starting to nest.

Cheers,

James

Thanks James, Gandytron & Hanno.

We'll see how things go. The ibises would not necessarily be a priority (although obviously nice to see) as long as there are other things to see and it sounds like there might be enough to keep our companions interested for a couple of days. Alternatively we could just ask SVC to arrange some guiding nearer to Siem Reap for us, for Bengal Florican etc. and perhaps spend a couple of days at less visited temples in the area. we're quite anxious to use some of our tourist dollars to support SVC as it looks like they do a great job.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back