• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panti Forest Reserve, Malaysia (1 Viewer)

thyoloalethe

Does anyone bother getting a permit to enter the Panti Forest Reserve in Malaysia? Supposedly I need to get one, but it doesn't appear to be easy to obtain; apparently I have to go to the forestry office in Johor Bahru.

I might not even visit Panti, given the distance from everything else, but I might go if I miss Rail-babbler at Taman Negara.

Thx
Liam

I didn't get one, just rocked up each day and had fabulous birding (had emailed someone I dug out online but it bounced back). Recommend it if you get the chance, for way more than the Rail-Babbler.

Heard R-B more at Panti than TN, but my only sighting was at the latter.

Steve

I hired a car for the Panti, Fraser's Hill and Kuala Selangor bit of the trip, then dropped the car off in KL (they actually met me at the bus station) and bussed to Teman Negara, where the car wasn't needed - 8 days of on foot birding.
Panti is indeed quite a way south, but it's a really fast toll road most of the way and the car was useful once there.

I hired a car for the Panti, Fraser's Hill and Kuala Selangor bit of the trip, then dropped the car off in KL (they actually met me at the bus station) and bussed to Teman Negara, where the car wasn't needed - 8 days of on foot birding.
Panti is indeed quite a way south, but it's a really fast toll road most of the way and the car was useful once there.

My itinerary might be changing a bit - 12 days on the Peninsula covering the usual sites north of KL, followed by 2 weeks in Sabah. Then fly to Johor & rent a car to drive to Panti - saves me a long drive which is time not spent birding!

Cheers
Liam

Liam, apologies for elbowing in to your thread! I was just just wondering if Panti is doable as a day trip from Singapore on a 2 days stop-over? Presumably with a hire car. Thanks, and cheers for the other info already shared here!
Joost

Liam, apologies for elbowing in to your thread! I was just just wondering if Panti is doable as a day trip from Singapore on a 2 days stop-over? Presumably with a hire car. Thanks, and cheers for the other info already shared here!
Joost

They're close enough that it's certainly feasible, although it's unlikely I'd be able to take a hire car over the border. Would be a good option if I knew someone in Singapore who could take me there. I'm thinking that going through Johor Bahru is a more straightforward (and cheaper) option, especially if I'm tight on time.

Thanks for elbowing in! |:d|

Liam

They're close enough that it's certainly feasible, although it's unlikely I'd be able to take a hire car over the border. Would be a good option if I knew someone in Singapore who could take me there. I'm thinking that going through Johor Bahru is a more straightforward (and cheaper) option, especially if I'm tight on time.

Thanks for elbowing in! |:d|

Liam

It is possible in a day and yes you can take a hire car over the border however car hire in Singapore is extremely expensive in comparison with JB.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back