• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Painted Bunting, Flamborough Head UK (1 Viewer)

Hi Dave,

Yes, we have a birdbatch close by. He could have been in there before.

I agree that the pictures are quite similar, but is it possible for this bird to have flown the some 350 miles from Flamborough to Old Aberdeen in even two days (though I presume it would be shorter if he flew directly across the North Sea)? He was here by around 10am on Friday when I saw him. I guess, though, that these birds apparently do migrate from Central America to the American South, so they would need to fly for relatively long distances across the Gulf of Mexico. Still that seems a very long way. Amazing if he did, though.

Thanks,

Keith

We were told that our bird had aberrant plumage and wasn't a typical example of a Painted Bunting. Looking at the pics, the same plumage variations look to be in the same areas in both pics. I reckon that's the same bird.

Flamborough and Aberdeen birds are same individual. It’s plumage is atypical, indicative of captive breeding manipulation, like Canary ‘mules” Here’s an extract from a message I submitted to Flamborough Bird Observatory WhatsApp group the day Dave found the bird. “... the Flambro PBunting appears to be aberrant. It’s mantle colour is chestnut along with some scaps n coverts. Should be green. The back and rump are green. Should be chestnut. Other less obvious anomalies. Its a captive bird. Avicultural art! Sad ☹️“
As pointed out earlier in this thread, the red ringed bird on Orkney near Kirkwall looks pretty normal in plumage, but looks unwell.

Flamborough and Aberdeen birds are same individual. It’s plumage is atypical, indicative of captive breeding manipulation, like Canary ‘mules” Here’s an extract from a message I submitted to Flamborough Bird Observatory WhatsApp group the day Dave found the bird. “... the Flambro PBunting appears to be aberrant. It’s mantle colour is chestnut along with some scaps n coverts. Should be green. The back and rump are green. Should be chestnut. Other less obvious anomalies. Its a captive bird. Avicultural art! Sad ☹️“
As pointed out earlier in this thread, the red ringed bird on Orkney near Kirkwall looks pretty normal in plumage, but looks unwell.

Cheers Trev 👍🏼

Still very impressive for a bird to fly from Flamborough to Aberdeen in such a short time, especially one who for most of its life probably did not have the opportunity to fly any distance at all!

I saw a painted bunting on the old racecourse near Oswestry yesterday. I couldn't believe my eyes, it was so vividly coloured that I thought it was some discarded packaging until it flew away. Red front with yellow and green rear and dark blue head. I didn't know what it was until I did a bit of research.

I saw a painted bunting on the old racecourse near Oswestry yesterday. I couldn't believe my eyes, it was so vividly coloured that I thought it was some discarded packaging until it flew away. Red front with yellow and green rear and dark blue head. I didn't know what it was until I did a bit of research.
I'm just going to jump in here and wish you a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :)

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back