• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds of Argentina (1 Viewer)

Birds of Chile

Robert, I think that the reference to 288 pages is just a mistake, eg the Princeton website states 288pp, but the table of contents on the same page indicates that the final section is the (2-page) English index on p239. I have the Princeton version, and it definitely has 240pp.

As stated on Alvaro's website, the contents of the Princeton and Helm imprints are exactly the same (although I've seen at least Helm examples with corrections for the errata listed by Alvaro). Both versions include the Antarctic Peninsula, the Falklands and South Georgia, as stated in the introduction, although the cover of the Princeton version doesn't display a subtitle highlighting this.

Last edited:
Robert, I think that the reference to 288 pages is just a mistake, eg the Princeton website states 288pp, but the table of contents on the same page indicates that the final section is the (2-page) English index on p239. I have the Princeton version, and it definitely has 240pp.

As stated on Alvaro's website, the contents of the Princeton and Helm imprints are exactly the same (although I've seen at least Helm examples with corrections for the errata listed by Alvaro). Both versions include the Antarctic Peninsula, the Falklands and South Georgia, as stated in the introduction, although the cover of the Princeton version doesn't display a subtitle highlighting this.

To Richard and Swissboy,

The Birds of Chile from Helms has 240 pages so it is probably the same book with different covers. Its an OK book but clearly does not cover all the birds of Argentina, but its a good start for me in getting to know the new birds, so I'm quite happy with it.

/Carsten

There seem to be two editions, 2010 and 2011, but they both have the photos, and a DVD with bird sounds that might make me buy the book again if I make it back to Argentina.

I have a DVD with bird sounds from the southern cone (Chile + Argentina) that also contains lots of photos of birds from the area. Might be cheaper than purchasing the book + whatever.

Niels

Carsten and Richard,

Thanks for getting my world back in order. ;) It would really have been extremely odd if there had been such a difference in the two editions. But then, one never knows. Anyway, I think that the Jaramillo book is pretty good as long as Chile is one's travel destination (though I have never had a chance to go there so far). And as a FG, it was a pioneering feat for the southern part of South America at the time when it came out.

Thanks for getting my world back in order. ;) It would really have been extremely odd if there had been such a difference in the two editions.
You can relax, Robert. You don't have to purchase two versions of each field guide - unless you're a collector of cover pages... ;)

You can relax, Robert. You don't have to purchase two versions of each field guide - unless you're a collector of cover pages... ;)

Yes, it's good to know, I was afraid I might have to double my budget for books. ;)

And then for bookshelves as well.

Yes, it's good to know, I was afraid I might have to double my budget for books. ;)

And then for bookshelves as well.

I've just seen that "Birds of Argentina Volumes 1 & 2 and the South-West Atlantic" by Mark Pearman is in preparation due 2014 on www.nhbs.com.
I've therefore ordered "Guide to the Birds of Argentina and Uruguay : Complete Edition" by Tito Narosky, Darío Yzurieta.

Too bad that it takes so long to finish this much need book on the birds of Argentina.

Regards
Carsten

What does this mean?

I just received the following notification from Amazon:

"We regret to report that the release of the following item has been cancelled: Mark Pearman "Birds of Argentina: v. 1-2 (Helm Field Guides)" Our supplier has informed us that this item is no longer available. This item has now been cancelled from your order ......."

I hope this is not a true cancellation but only a way to get back to reality regarding publication dates. It's of course never been "available" in the first place.

Does anybody knows if this book will finally come out in Jan 2014 as shown in different online bookstores?

Hi Fritz,

I have emailed Bloomsbury, but I'm afraid I will have to disappoint you. Here's what they had to say regarding that publication date.

Definitely not! Not sure where that date came from. I put it back ages ago. I don't have a date at all yet.

Hope this helps,
Leon Vlieger

Dr Leon Vlieger, Catalogue Editor
www.nhbs.com
NHBS Ltd, 2-3 Wills Road, Totnes, Devon, TQ9 5XN, UK
Alana Ecology is now part of NHBS: www.alanaecology.com

Why the delay? This must been nearly 10 years in the making, certainly I saw some of the plates 8 years ago.

Cheers

Alan

I must admit that I had even forgotten that there was this project. It's been so long in the works. I suspect the ones who are at it underestimated the task, or they set their own goals way too high. If it makes it in the end, fine. But if it does not, what a waste of efforts. Less can often be more. There are so many of us who'd be happy with a one-volume FG along the lines of the recent books for Panama, Costa Rica and Chile.

Last edited:
After checking in with the publisher some more it is clear that they are also very keen to see this book in print, but are waiting for the author to submit the manuscript. Corrections to maps and plates are apparently also still in progress.

Hope this helps,
Leon Vlieger

Dr Leon Vlieger, Catalogue Editor
www.nhbs.com
NHBS Ltd, 2-3 Wills Road, Totnes, Devon, TQ9 5XN, UK
Alana Ecology is now part of NHBS: www.alanaecology.com

Why the delay? This must been nearly 10 years in the making, certainly I saw some of the plates 8 years ago.

Cheers

Alan

Hi Alan, hope all is well with you? Haven't seen any updates to your blog for quite a while, and it's one of my favourite ones...!

Got an email from Mark Pearman today where he says the field guide should be out by 2015.

Cheers

Hi Alan, hope all is well with you? Haven't seen any updates to your blog for quite a while, and it's one of my favourite ones...!

Got an email from Mark Pearman today where he says the field guide should be out by 2015.

Cheers

The problem when I moved back from Argentina in 2009 was principally the maps. Last I heard from Mark the problem was principally the maps... But when the book comes, it will be brilliant.

The problem when I moved back from Argentina in 2009 was principally the maps. Last I heard from Mark the problem was principally the maps... But when the book comes, it will be brilliant.
Yes, when I visited Argentina in 2009, Mark said that although many of the maps had been created, for some reason it had been deemed necessary to start again using an alternative mapping package! But that surely can't be the only reason for a 6-year delay...

The plates certainly looked good. I seem to recall that a particularly nice touch was the explicit identification of any plants featured in the plates.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back