• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swainson's Hawk - Juvenile? (1 Viewer)

KAC

Is this a juvenile Swainson's Hawk? Photographed today in Alabama. Nice variety of "hawks' migrating today...

Thanks,
KAC

Attachments

• DSC_7025.jpg
    DSC_7025.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 90
Looks like juvenile Broad-winged Hawk. 4 wing fingers, narrow banded tail and narrow stripe in middle of throat.

I don't see why this isn't a Swainson's. Four wing fingers, narrow banded tail, and narrow stripe in the middle of the throat don't rule out Swainson's...

Yes, I was just about to mention that, why not a Swainson's. The throat stripe is seen in some Swainson's to. Further, it lacks the broad dark terminal tailband, which is a better feature for juvenile Swainson's. Are there any more pic Kac?

JanJ

In Alabama a Broad-winged Hawk is far more likely to be seen during the fall migration season than a Swainson's Hawk.

According to Wheeler's range maps in his "Raptors of Eastern North America" Migrating Broad-winged Hawks in Alabama and the other south eastern states are very common. See range map of the Broad-winged Hawk on page 214 of the Eastern Edition. Broad-winged Haawks are also common in Arkansas and Louisiana which are covered in the range map on page 253 of the Western edition.

Migrating Swainson's Hawks are very uncommon east of Houston, Texas. See their range maps on page 283 of the Western edition and on page 241 of the Eastern Edition.

2 extra limital sightings of Swainson's Hawks are noted around Mobile, Alabama in the range map of the Swainson's Hawk on p. 241 of the Eastern Edition.

Last edited:
..not to go into detail about the plumage..a BWH is a stubby looking bird in all aspects. It has short and wide wings, rather short tail and thick set head. Swainson's has long wings. The body and tail make it a long appearance; the head, moreover is, set appart in profile with the body, unusual small and narrow looking.

Last edited:
This photo has been ID'd as a juvenile Swainson's by a local expert. As someone speculated, we do have a majority of BW Hawks migrating at this time of year. But, every year we have witnessed a Swainson's Hawk or two; myself included. As with any questionable sighting, I always enlist and appreciate the help of others more experienced than I am. Thanks so much for the replies...

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back