• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

LWG, Abu Dhabi, UAE (1 Viewer)

andyb39

Bulgaria
A non-birder friend of mine photographed this gull yesterday and asked me for identification. Trouble is I'm rubbish at gulls. The default taxon here is barabensis - heuglini is more commonly found on the east coast. Caspian also occurs but we're unsure of numbers because of ID difficulties. The sloping forehead is interesting on this bird, but the bill is very heavy and bulbous. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

Attachments

• 46480184_10156058624117737_8068646349630865408_n.jpg
    46480184_10156058624117737_8068646349630865408_n.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 61
Gut feeling of Heuglin's, but to be honest, I just remember that when I was last time in UAE, the book "gulls" state something like "differences between 1st winter Heuglin's and Steppe Gulls are not fully understood".

Well... clearly, not fully understood for me. I hope Lou will comment.

If this gull is photographed, as mentioned, yesterday it can hardly be a heuglini. The reason for this is the worn plumage. heuglini is a northern breeder and as a result of that they normally moult later than southern breeders, such as barabensis and cachinnans (Caspian Gull). So my take would be one of the two last mentioned, probably cachinnans since no covert moult s visible, however, some barabensis are similar. The bill looks slightly bulbous tipped.

JanJ

fully agree with jan - cachinnans or barabensis, tending towards cachinnans. but i disagree to the statement that it's more liekly a cach because it lacks replaced coverts: caspian gull is not less likely to replace coverts than steppe gull during postjuvenile moult; it's the opposite: being on average the more southern breeder, caspian is more prone to having replaced some or many coverts by late autumn. but some do not, like in this (presumed) one. jizz and wear surely more like cachinnans than barabensis but you can't be sure!

Thank you very much, gentlemen. I've conveyed your opinions to my friend, who's probably feeling sorry he asked me......

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back