• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Apple iphone XS Max - PhoneSkope Adaptor (1 Viewer)

Penny Clarke

I need to upgrade my iphone....... is anyone using the dedicated PhoneSkope adaptor for the Apple iphone XS Max (6.5" screen) please? I like the idea of the big screen, but is this too heavy to stay on the scope tightly? Or should I go with iphone XS (5.8" screen) please?

My scope is a Swarosvski ATS 65mm HD Telescope with 25-50xW zoom eyepiece.

I currently have an iphone 6 with Kowa adaptor, which has never really fitted properly and now broken.

Thanks

Penny:gh:

I have a phonescope adaptor but for a leica scope. Its a snug fit. Doesn't move when put onto scope eyepiece. But use mine with an LG phone. Should be ok with a bigger iPhone I reckon.

I've used two PhoneSkope set-ups. The first was with a Motorola G3, which is quite a large phone. I 'lost' this (although it turned out to be temporary) and replaced it with a used Samsung S4 Mini. Both are interfacing with a Swaro 65 / Kowa 883, as the eyepieces are very close in size.
The Moto was a little harder to use; on the 65mm on a CF tripod, the additional weight meant the pan/tilt had to be made firm prior to fitting. The Samsung is a lot easier to deal with, and put in a pocket.
However, i think the major consideration is the phone's display; if you get a nice, bright image out of what you've got, i'd use that. I've often fired off shots in bright daylight not knowing if i'm on target or not. I'm now carrying a cloth i can throw over the phone and my head to shut out the light, like some frock-coated Victorian portrait artist..... Putting the PhoneSkope on the eyepiece (being a tight fit) is most likely going to move your trajectory a little anyway.
Due to my 'loss' experience, i now carry either phone in a secure pouch on my belt.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back