• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Extension rings advice (1 Viewer)

Ashley beolens

Breeding the next generation of birders.
I'm after some advice with extension tubes, I have a set of non reporting extension rings (cheap Jessops ones) had them a while but I've not used them however I've recently decided I wanted to try (in two ways which I will explain).

Firstly I want to use them straight with my 100mm macro lens combined with my Canon 70D, and I had a little play today however as non reporting I cannot control the aperture when attached. I tried using the trick of setting the aperture while the lens is on then holding the depth of field preview button and this works great to hold the aperture as set however the DoF preview remains on so the image through the viewfinder becomes really dark, which makes manual focusing tricky on darker images. So here is my first question is there anyway to set this up so I can see clearly through the viewfinder what is happening without losing the wider aperture?

My second usage was to attach a 1.4x converter to the 100mm lens (the tube goes in between the lens and converter this then means you have a better magnification than the 1:1 ratio), something I saw another photographer doing online, however when I do this the lens and camera can't talk so you get an error, does anyone know if this is solvable with the non reporting extension tubes or would it only work if there were contacts involved?

Anyway thanks for reading and helping out any.

Well just found out you can use the Kenko converter with the 100mm lens straight, and there was me thinking it would need a tube in the middle, guess I should have thought of this first lol.

Well just found out you can use the Kenko converter with the 100mm lens straight, and there was me thinking it would need a tube in the middle, guess I should have thought of this first lol.
Yep, you only need a tube in the middle if it is a Canon tc (which has a protrusion that stops you fitting direct).

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back