• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Catipillar ID please (1 Viewer)

jweeyh

Singapore
Can someone ID this weird but adorable caterpillar.
Found in the forest, Singapore
Thanks

Attachments

• filtered_D8E_0018 (2) (Medium).JPG
    filtered_D8E_0018 (2) (Medium).JPG
    168 KB · Views: 19
  • filtered_D8E_0017 (2) (Medium).JPG
    filtered_D8E_0017 (2) (Medium).JPG
    200.1 KB · Views: 12
Can't help you with the caterpillar ID, other than that it seems to be perhaps a Nymphalid species. But the whitish oval shaped structures scattered all over it (they're not part of the caterpillar) are cocoons of a parasitic wasp and its survival is unfortunately compromised.

2 days ago before it was infected it looks like this.

Attachments

• filtered_D8E_0102 (3) (Medium).JPG
    filtered_D8E_0102 (3) (Medium).JPG
    195.6 KB · Views: 12
I made a quick Google search and I think I got closer.
It seems it's a Nymphalid of genus Athyma. There are 5 species of Athyma ("Sergeants") in Singapore and it may well be Dot-dash Seargeant (Athyma kanwa), check here and here.
The other Athyma species are:
1) The Studded Seargeant Athyma asura (here), another similar species, share the same structure as a caterpillar, but much more colourful.
2) The Lance Seargeant Athyma pravara (here) also similar but clearly not this one either.
3) The Colour Sergeant Athyma nefte (here), also not a match.
4) and the Malay Staff Sergeant Athyma reta (here), not good either.

Also found a photo of another Athyma species (Athyma selenofora) parasitised as yours, here.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back