• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2019 (3 Viewers)

Hello!

One lonely Barn Swallow seen this morning in la Gola.
Some more have been seen today and this last week in Mallorca.
Spring is coming!

Regards,
Cristina.

Hello!
One lonely Barn Swallow seen this morning in la Gola.
Some more have been seen today and this last week in Mallorca.
Spring is coming!
Regards,
Cristina.

Hi Cristina

Some early birds have also made it to the UK over the last week or so.

We're set to get some warm weather from Iberia over the next few days so hopefully it may bring more summer migrants with it (some migrant moths that are common in Mallorca have already made it).

Best wishes

Martin

A few locals are at the tower, Albercutx, every weekend hoping for some early migration.
Just one Osprey through so far and the usual tame Alpine Accentor to keep them company.
There are some early migrants every year such as Storks, Osprey and Black Kite so it’s worth a punt.
Things will hot up soon hopefully and I will post all the sightings I hear of.
UK nice and sunny!
Mike

Had an Osprey yesterday at Cala Sant Vicenc. Back home now after an enjoyable first time in Mallorca. In the company of 8 non-birders, four under eight years old, so very little birding done! But saw the two birds I most wanted to see: Balearic Warbler and the local Crossbill (by the skin of my teeth), as well as the expected specialities in the hour or so we ended up having at Albufera. Don't think there was anything of note in the 72 spp noted on the trip, apart from the 4 Alpine Accentors mentioned above, unless a single Siskin in Pollenca on Feb 21st is interesting Mike?

Last edited:
Siskin certainly is interesting Larry, this year they have been scarce and many people have yet to see one so it’s a good bird, well done.
Glad you had a good time and managed to get some birding in!
Mike

The Siskin, a female, was on the deck about half way up the steps up to the hilltop chapel in Pollenca town. In case anyone wanted to look for it. My girlfriend got some pics if you're interested.

Hello!
some news from la Gola.
A sad first one, yesterday I found the Grey Heron dead. I collected it and had a look on it carefully but nothing strange was found, neither other dead birds were found, so quite sure it was a natural dead. It's a shame. If it has always been the same one (an adult),it has been visiting la Gola at least since 2010, as far I know.
I expect another one will occupy its place in the future.

Well, no more sad news.
Here you have the list of the birds which have been seen in the last fortnight
.https://www.ctolagola.com/birdlist-listado-de-aves-llistat-d-aus/

Next Saturday 9th we'll do a bird ringing morning in the park again. Please contact me for more info.

And the Bird Centre opening hours in March are Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday 8am-1pm and 2pm-5pm. And Saturdays from 8am-2pm.

Best wishes,
Cristina.

Hi Cristina.Some early birds have also made it to the UK over the last week or so.Martin

Hello Martin!
ONe visitor told me too.
Yesterday I also saw some House Martin visiting the nests (not building them) which are in one of the buildings near the roundabout to Alcúdia (road from Alcúdia to PP).
I know that some times migrants do that.
Hope see you soon.
Cristina.

Hello all. I am back in Mallorca on Monday 4th March and staying for 1 week in Port de Pollenca. I do have some business to attend to but otherwise hope to be clear. Is anyone else around next week, perhaps we could meet up?
David

Hello all. I am back in Mallorca on Monday 4th March and staying for 1 week in Port de Pollenca. I do have some business to attend to but otherwise hope to be clear. Is anyone else around next week, perhaps we could meet up?
David

Hi Dave. I am back myself on Monday. I'll give you a call to see if we can get together for a day out.

Regards

Kevin

Sorry not to be there with you in Mallorca but I hope all visitors see lots of good birds including some early migrants.
Florida is awash with some great birds including these two newly fledged Great Horned Owls.
I will be back soon enough.
Mike

Attachments

• F3ADC728-9637-433D-9459-AF1C0E1012BA.jpg
    F3ADC728-9637-433D-9459-AF1C0E1012BA.jpg
    316.3 KB · Views: 65
Great day out today with Geordie Dave at Albufera and surrounding areas.
As well as the first of the year Barn swallow and several Yellow wagtails for us both. We also saw Night heron, Grey heron, Great, Cattle, and Little egrets, Glossy ibis, Greenshank, Spotted redshank, B.W.stint, Dublin, Green and Common sandpiper, L.R.and Kentish plover, Lapwing, Snipe, 54+Avocet, Comorant, Marsh harrier, Booted eagle, Kestrel, Shellduck, Shoveller, Wigeon, Marbled duck, Teal, Gadwall, Mallard, R.C.and Common pochard, Purple gallinule, Moorhen, Red knobbed and Common coot, Kingfisher, Water and Meadow pipit, Sardinian, Fan tailed and Cetti’s warbler, Firecrest, Chiffchaff, Robin, Black redstart, Song thrush, Blackbird, Serin, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Chaffinch, Reed bunting, House sparrow.
Great day, great weather and great company .

Great day out today with Geordie Dave at Albufera and surrounding areas.
As well as the first of the year Barn swallow and several Yellow wagtails for us both. We also saw Night heron, Grey heron, Great, Cattle, and Little egrets, Glossy ibis, Greenshank, Spotted redshank, B.W.stint, Dublin, Green and Common sandpiper, L.R.and Kentish plover, Lapwing, Snipe, 54+Avocet, Comorant, Marsh harrier, Booted eagle, Kestrel, Shellduck, Shoveller, Wigeon, Marbled duck, Teal, Gadwall, Mallard, R.C.and Common pochard, Purple gallinule, Moorhen, Red knobbed and Common coot, Kingfisher, Water and Meadow pipit, Sardinian, Fan tailed and Cetti’s warbler, Firecrest, Chiffchaff, Robin, Black redstart, Song thrush, Blackbird, Serin, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Chaffinch, Reed bunting, House sparrow.
Great day, great weather and great company .

Wow! Cleaned up!

Stew

Kevin, thanks for your company yesterday, an excellent day out. I don't think you've missed anything out from the list, remarkable when it's all done from memory and with no notes! Safe trip back, hope to catch up with you in April for the start of the migration
Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back