• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice and Referrals for birding on the Big Island (1 Viewer)

Hi All: my family of 2 adults and 2 kids, will be in the Big Island for spring break April 10-21st. From our reading it is our understanding that some great options to bird would be (a) along saddle road - especially on the Pu'u O'o trail, (b) The Hakalau Forest Wildlife refuge, and (c) Along the Kipuka'akihi trail in the Volcano National park. Could folk advise on the following:

a. Do you agree with the list above? are we missing any other places?

b. We will be in the saddle road area for either the Pu'u trail or Hakalau Forest on April 14th 2013 sunday approximately, and in the Volcano Park April 17-19 2013 approximately. Would you be able to recommend a good local birder who might be able to take us out for a 1/2 to full day of birding? We are enthusiastic but not very knowledgeable birders and always find it great to learn from experienced folk. We've had some wonderful experiences in Maine and other places by connecting with birders via this forum and i'm hoping you will be able to help direct us to the right folk.

c. For Hakalau how does one get a permit for a weekend visit?

Thx so much!

Chitra

Hi All: my family of 2 adults and 2 kids, will be in the Big Island for spring break April 10-21st. From our reading it is our understanding that some great options to bird would be (a) along saddle road - especially on the Pu'u O'o trail, (b) The Hakalau Forest Wildlife refuge, and (c) Along the Kipuka'akihi trail in the Volcano National park. Could folk advise on the following:

a. Do you agree with the list above? are we missing any other places?

b. We will be in the saddle road area for either the Pu'u trail or Hakalau Forest on April 14th 2013 sunday approximately, and in the Volcano Park April 17-19 2013 approximately. Would you be able to recommend a good local birder who might be able to take us out for a 1/2 to full day of birding? We are enthusiastic but not very knowledgeable birders and always find it great to learn from experienced folk. We've had some wonderful experiences in Maine and other places by connecting with birders via this forum and i'm hoping you will be able to help direct us to the right folk.

c. For Hakalau how does one get a permit for a weekend visit?

Thx so much!

Chitra

In regards to Hakalau, you will need to get in contact with them at (808) 443-2300. They have a website. According to that, the Upper Maulua Unit is open Saturdays, Sundays, & holidays from sunrise to sunset. I have never been up there (something I will have to correct one of these days), but I believe that you will need a 4 wheel drive vehicle to get there.

EDIT: In regards to the volcano, Apapane are all over the crater area. Try hanging out around Thurston Lava tube. There's a nice overlook there where you can see some birds like Omao. I'iwi are not very common at the Volcano. If you can, try to get a copy of "A Photographic Guide to the Birds of Hawaii" by Jim Denny. Good luck!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back