• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for nuthatches in July...Corsica or Lesvos? (1 Viewer)

BradP

I have an exaggerated interest in nuthatches. I have seen all 4 New World nuthatch species and the Eurasian Nuthatch, so I must now look beyond Germany and the USA to see another species. My wife and I will be visiting her family in Germany in July and I will have time for a 4-5 day trip to see nuthatches somewhere in Europe. I have narrowed my options to going to Corsica (Corsican Nuthatch) or to Lesvos (Western Rock Nuthatch and Krueper's Nuthatch). I'm a little worried since I'll be going in July that the birds will not be singing/active. Has anyone had experience birding in these locations at that time of year? Is it oppressively hot and lifeless in Lesvos in July? Are the Corsican Nuthatches silent and unobservable?

Which location will I have the best chance of seeing nuthatches at this time of year? Where would you go if you had to see nuthatches? All other birds are secondary to me--nuthatches are absolutely my main target. Yes, it's weird, but I don't fight it.

Thanks for any advice,

BradP

Last edited:
Tricky choice!

Lesvos will be hot, probably 35° to 40°; Corsica will be nearly as hot low down, but cooler in the mountains where the nuthatches are.

They won't be singing, but I'd have thought that fledged family parties would be fairly noisy with young demanding to be fed, though the earlier in July the better, before they start to moult.

I would opt for Lesvos as you get two nuthatches for the price of one. And it is a wonderful island. yes it is hot in July, but you could do the birding early and cool off on the wonderful beaches during the day. A lot cheaper than Corsica too.

Good luck.
Bliz

PS I would not bother with trying to see Algerian Nuthatch yet, much too difficult.

Thank you all for the great advice!

From your suggestions, I've decided I should go to Lesvos instead of Corsica. I've always wanted to go to Corsica since I read "Asterix in Corsica" as a kid, but I think I'll wait and make a more "tourist" trip of it with my wife next time I'm in Europe. This trip will be more about birds and fortunately it sounds as though the nuthatches will still be observable. I'm used to the birds around here being slothful in July humidity--or maybe it's me that's slothful? It also seems as though Lesvos is bird watching friendly--the tourist web sites list it as an activity which I've usually found omitted on most guides not specifically dedicated to birding.

So my next question is, how does one get to Lesvos? By ferry or plane?

BradP said:
So my next question is, how does one get to Lesvos? By ferry or plane?

Whichever route you prefer, Brad!

Mytilene airport is less than an hour out of Athens (IIRC), direct flights are available (in the main tourist season) from the U.K. I have no info from German airports (Google will have ;) ) or the ferry service.

The ferry may enable you to try for shearwaters and perhaps Eleonora's Falcons or to study Richard Brooks' book(s) of birding on Lesvos.

Andy.

Hi Brad,
Would suggest Germany to Athens then flight out to Mytilene if time is at a premium. If you are going make sure you get a copy of Richard Brooks' book as mentioned by Andy.
In july you should see White & Black Stork, Bee-eaters, Woodchat,Masked & possible Lesser Grey Shrike, short-toed Eagle, Lesser Kestrel, Lanner, Peregrine, possibly the fabulous Eleonora's Falcon as well as Middle-spotted Woodpecker & a host of other species. A list of 75+ species should be possible in 4-5 days.
Hope you enjoy Lesvos, the people are universally friendly & Skala Kalloni (the preferred place to stay for birding) has some good restaurants. The best local hotel there is probably the Kalloni II.
Cheers,
Steve

Hi Brad,

Further to your request for help with nuthatches in Lesvos, I can report that I managed to see at least three Kruper's Nuthatches on more than one occasion and many Western Rock Nuthatches last July. The Kruper's were best found just after first light, as they can be heard calling at this time of day. later in the day their calls are drowned out by the insect noises. I found the Kruper's at a dissused army camp (white buildings in pines at side of road) along the road to Achladeri. If you get Richard Brooks's book the site is on his map No.5 and it is the area just under the eri of Achladeri. Western Rock Nuthatches were found almost anywhere, but were perhaps most obvious in the uplands to the west. I will happily help, if I can, with other information you may require.

Carl.

Attachments

• DSCN6978.jpg
    DSCN6978.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 216
BradP said:
Which location will I have the best chance of seeing nuthatches at this time of year? Where would you go if you had to see nuthatches? All other birds are secondary to me--nuthatches are absolutely my main target. Yes, it's weird, but I don't fight it.

Thanks for any advice,

BradP

Hi Brad
Wait til November and go to Goa, see Velvet-fronted Nuthatch, which is a real stunner. It probably wouldn't work out much dearer in price than these two places.
The rest of the birding in Goa is fabulous too, & cheap.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back