• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

After some ideas. (1 Viewer)

Moocher

Hi,

I'm going to Scotland and stopping near Loch Lomond in a few weeks. It's a first for me, and I'm looking for some tips on places to visit to see some of Scotland's iconic wildlife.

All suggestions great fully received.

Regards

Moocher

Last edited:
I've never been birding in that area in autumn so can't really help. I normally visit in the spring for Flycatchers, Warblers and Redstarts but I doubt you'd have much success with them now. Going by the lack of replies, it probably isn't a good time to bird the area.

Do you have any particular target species?

Hi,

Not really. Just want to make the most of the visit. Would like Crested Tit and obviously an eagle would be a bonus, but was just looking for some interesting places to visit at this time of year. I would like Red Squirrel also.

For Crested Tit, you need to be in Speyside. The feeders at RSPB Loch Garten are the most reliable - I went in November 2013 and got one on my second visit and a long wait.

Golden Eagle is quite possible around Loch Lomond, but the Findhorn Valley would be a better shot.

I'm not sure on Red Squirrel around Loch Lomond. You would get them in Speyside no bother, or even SWT Loch of the Lowes.

Sorry I can't help much for the Loch Lomond area. What route are you planning on following?

Thanks Bongofury.

We have no definitive route really plans, we are stopping near Lomond and intend taking each day as it comes really. We will definitely be visiting Loch Garten so fingers crossed for a Crested Tit.

Thank you for your reply, it was much appreciated.

Hi Moocher

Loch Lomond is such a long loch and you don't say where you'll be on it. Depending where you are I thought this site might be of interest: Queen Elizabeth Forest Park, I've linked the wildlife page.

Hope that one helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back