• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ATX95 vs 85 (1 Viewer)

squidge

Wha Whassssat
Hi, I’ve been using the ATX95 for the last couple of years and have been toying with the idea of switching down to the 85 due to the weight of the 95.
I have compared the 95 to the 85 but I’m really looking for opinions on longer term use of both sizes. What are the pro’s and con’s of switching to an 85.
I do have an Opticron mm3 60ed for travel so the Swarovski is for General birding.

The cons for me for the 95 are as I said weight and sometimes the 30x lower end of zoom is to narrow a fov.

Regards Gerard

For me the 95X is the best but the weight etc is a real drag in the field, it is just really cumbersome too! I currently have the 85mm for a couple of reasons, my main watching is raptor watching and the increased fOV at 25x is a bonus also the 85 is just a very neat compact (more so than its predecessor which I also have) and easy to use piece of kit - basically the 85 is the all rounder for me!

The first winter I had my ATX 95 I enjoyed zooming it all the way out and looking across the lake at little birds in the bushes, but as the weather began warming up the heat waves diminished my pleasure at using the higher power. When summer arrived I felt that the weight and size of the 95, plus the limited FOV of the 30x did not justify carrying it around so I switched to the 65mm tube for the summer. The following winter I sold the 95 and replaced it with the less cumbersome 85. No regrets.

Many thanks for the replies. It does seem that the 95 is too cumbersome for the actual birding I do plus I use the 60 -70x zoom range very little during a birding day.

Regards Gerard

I tried my Meopta S282HD w/30-60 against a Swaro ATX85 once, Squidge. Damned if I could see a difference. Meopta costs about 1900 euro, with ep and SOC. Superb customer service, 30yr transferable guarantee. You could flog your 95, buy a Meopta, and have spare change for a new toy. (Hang on...did we discuss this already? The obsession never goes away, it can return in waves. My current angst is over Victory 8x25 pockets...tell me I don't need 'em!)

Nope you definitely need those pocket victories;) infact the world will stop turning if you don’t get them😂
I liked your Meopta a lot but the field flattner tech and the ergonomics of the Swarovski just pips it for me.
After I switch to the 85 I’m going to be looking at 42 bins using a harness. Zeiss, Leica or Swarovski which one to go for🤔 I feel your pain:smoke:

Regards Gerard

Nope you definitely need those pocket victories;) infact the world will stop turning if you don’t get them😂
I liked your Meopta a lot but the field flattner tech and the ergonomics of the Swarovski just pips it for me.
After I switch to the 85 I’m going to be looking at 42 bins using a harness. Zeiss, Leica or Swarovski which one to go for🤔 I feel your pain:smoke:

Regards Gerard

Gerard

Zeiss's SF 8x42 with its monster field of view makes a super spotter to search out subjects for your scope.

Lee

I tried my Meopta S282HD w/30-60 against a Swaro ATX85 once, Squidge. Damned if I could see a difference. Meopta costs about 1900 euro, with ep and SOC. Superb customer service, 30yr transferable guarantee. You could flog your 95, buy a Meopta, and have spare change for a new toy. (Hang on...did we discuss this already? The obsession never goes away, it can return in waves. My current angst is over Victory 8x25 pockets...tell me I don't need 'em!)

Meopta's S2 is a gem isn't it?

Have you ever tried the 20-70 EP? The WA EP is kind of the obvious one to go for and I reviewed the S2 with this one but I wish I had tried the other EP with 20x for those hazy days when higher mags are iffy.

And BTW you need a Vic Pocket 8x25, it is super handy.

Lee

Meopta's S2 is a gem isn't it?

Have you ever tried the 20-70 EP? The WA EP is kind of the obvious one to go for and I reviewed the S2 with this one but I wish I had tried the other EP with 20x for those hazy days when higher mags are iffy.

And BTW you need a Vic Pocket 8x25, it is super handy.

Lee
Hiya Lee! No, I've never seen the 20-70x. The extra reach of 70x would be nice. Your review nudged me towards the Meopta, and it was a fantastic choice. Meopta owe you!;)
The Pocket 8x25 looks great. I have a Swaro 8x20B which is super-dainty for cycling. So trying to persuade myself to get another pocket bino is some work, sometimes I listen to myself, sometimes I don't!

The Meopta 20-70x eyepiece is superb. When I tested the S2, I had both zooms with it. I had expected to prefer the 30-60x Wide, as I have always enjoyed wide fields of view, but ended up with a clear preference for the 20-70x. The scope handles 70x beautifully, and having the low range from 20-30x is very useful. In addition, the real field of view at 20x is not that different from the wide zoom's 30x field, so for counting waterfowls or looking at flying flocks of migrating birds works just as well.

Kimmo

The Meopta 20-70x eyepiece is superb. When I tested the S2, I had both zooms with it. I had expected to prefer the 30-60x Wide, as I have always enjoyed wide fields of view, but ended up with a clear preference for the 20-70x. The scope handles 70x beautifully, and having the low range from 20-30x is very useful. In addition, the real field of view at 20x is not that different from the wide zoom's 30x field, so for counting waterfowls or looking at flying flocks of migrating birds works just as well.

Kimmo

Thanks for this Kimmo, this eyepiece sounds great.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back