• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski Habicht AT80 HD Sony A7 adapter (1 Viewer)

alexreltonb

Hi community,

I have a Swarovski Habicht AT80 HD spotting scope and a Sony A7 mirrorless camera. I am looking to buy an adapter to mount the camera to the scope but I am unsure what I need. Does anyone know what the scopes thread is called? I think I may need a T2 to E Mount adapter but I thought I'd double check here first.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Alex.

Hi,

first of all, welcome to BF!

You will need a TLS-APO like the old TLS 800 and a T2 for your Sony A7 in order to do this. Swaro offers a newer model of TLS-APO for use with the ATS/ATM series which in theory should fit too (the eyepieces are interchangeable) but is not specified for AT80 like the old one.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Swarovski-T...506555?hash=item33e488dbfb:g:DhoAAOSwYBxapP-f
http://www.uttings.co.uk/p101374-sw...ens-slr-photo-adapter-swtls800a/#.WyC_hxyxVY8

You will also want a sturdy tripod with a head with long plate which allows balancing the scope (it will be quite back-heavy with the camera) and a remote or cable release... That and a good measure of light and patience...

Have fun,

Joachim

Last edited:
Hi Alex,
The Sony A7 is full frame and takes FE lenses.
The smaller APS size sensor cameras have E mount lenses.
The Sony A7 also takes A mount or Minolta AF mount lenses with an adapter.
The register of the A mount or Minolta AF mount is different to the FE mount.

SRB Griturn know about mounts and sell lesser quality ones which they check, or higher quality ones. They also custom make mounts for more or less anything.

So make sure you get a full frame adapter and be aware of the different registers.

There are 4 different adapters from Sony to use older register lenses on the newer mirrorless cameras. These are not cheap but are often found in good condition secondhand.

Opticron T2 mounts I found were Japanese, the others suppliers maybe Korean. I don't know if this is still the case. Opticron sold them direct for competitive prices.

One can use almost any lens on the A7 camera including old cine lenses such as the Angenieux f/0.95 and things like the Rayxar f/0.75 lenses.

I use a Samyang 85mm f/1.4 manual focus lens with a Sony adapter on the A7S.
The autofocus lenses are pretty useless on stars, so manual focus is much better.
I get 8th magnitude central stars in 1/13th second at f/1.4 at 51,000 ISO or 102,000 ISO single exposure, no stacking. 7th magnitude near the edges of the full frame. Severe light pollution, so longer exposures are worse.

I used to use a Minolta SRT 303b with my 317mm aperture f/3.5 - f/14.7 Dall Kirkham using a T2 mount, which I think is a Tamron adapter originally. There were also T4 adapters, which are more complex for some Vivitar lenses.
A cable release was necessary at the 23,000mm focal length with eyepiece projection.

Many modern scopes have an inbuilt T2 thread.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back