• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

7-8x boat and birding (1 Viewer)

Tomly

I’d like to track down a 7 or 8x binoculars that would be a solid choice for daytime general purpose use. I’m letting go of a Nikon 8x30 WF E because, while I like the views, I don’t want to worry about water and rough handling. For instance, I’d like to be able to set them by my feet in a canoe and not worry about them getting grievously banged up.

With that in mind, there is so much information on the forums here and cloudy nights that I’m hoping for some guidance on an appropriately rugged 7/8 that could be found for around $200. I’d prefer to go used if it stretches my buck at all.

Thanks, all.

Last edited:
You might put up a WTB in the classifieds section for a Leupold Hawthorne 7x42. These are excellent binoculars with a very long eye-relief. At the end of their production, they were pretty cheap to buy, so perhaps someone here might sell you one at a price that is within your budget.

Opticron also makes a 7x42. I don't keep up with that brand, but they have a website. I believe that it is at least close to your stated budget.

Otherwise, just get the most expensive 8x42 from Leupold, Nikon (like the one suggested above), or Vortex and that is still within your budget. There isn't a lot to distinguish one over the other at this price range - none of them are perfect, all of them are perfectly usable.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I’ll check them out.

I’d love to find a waterproof, rugged version of my Nikons. For the price, I love the sharpness and 3D effects of those little Porros. Haven’t found a good, compact waterproof porro yet though...

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I’ll check them out.

I’d love to find a waterproof, rugged version of my Nikons. For the price, I love the sharpness and 3D effects of those little Porros. Haven’t found a good, compact waterproof porro yet though...

If you haven't tried the Vortex Raptor, you might consider the 6.5x32. They are waterproof, lightweight, and have a surprisingly long ER. You should be able to find them for under $100, and for that price, they work pretty well. Kowa also makes a small 8x porro too. I haven't tried one, but the reviews on them seem to be complimentary......

A few other recommendations have come my way.

- Sightron SII Blue Sky 8x32
- Foresta 8x32 DCF HR
- Zeiss Terra ED 8x32 (access to a prodeal at $250)
- Bushnell Legend ultra 8x42

Thoughts?
Would the Zeiss’ be noticeably ahead of the others?

Last edited:
If you haven't tried the Vortex Raptor, you might consider the 6.5x32. They are waterproof, lightweight, and have a surprisingly long ER. You should be able to find them for under $100, and for that price, they work pretty well. Kowa also makes a small 8x porro too. I haven't tried one, but the reviews on them seem to be complimentary......

My young child has the 8x30 Leupold version and the optical quality punches way above the $100 price. Unfortunately, the build quality isn't the best as they have minor issues with the eyecups, an awful feel to the focus wheel, and a diopter adjuster that has a tendency to wander. Even with those minor issues I find myself borrowing them often.

I’d you are expecting knocks then I’d glue strips/chunks of thick neoprene foam to the ends and sides to help absorb jolts, keep them going a little longer.

Peter

I’d like to track down a 7 or 8x binoculars that would be a solid choice for daytime general purpose use. I’m letting go of a Nikon 8x30 WF E because, while I like the views, I don’t want to worry about water and rough handling. For instance, I’d like to be able to set them by my feet in a canoe and not worry about them getting grievously banged up.

With that in mind, there is so much information on the forums here and cloudy nights that I’m hoping for some guidance on an appropriately rugged 7/8 that could be found for around $200. I’d prefer to go used if it stretches my buck at all.

Thanks, all.

First thing that comes to mind is Steiner. They're rubber clad, rugged, and (the 8x42) crop up periodically used at/below your price point with a bit of searching.

Sorry, but anything Vortex Raptor is mostly junk.

The Kowa porros are good, similar to the Leupold Yosemite.

Jerry

The Opticron 7x42 is a nice economical pair. The view is pretty good, though the apparent field of view looks narrow (it does not wrap around the eyes well) -- the actual field of view is 7.8*, so ok but not top tier 8*. I think in the 7x offerings, it is the best value new. I think they are $250 or so.

In the 8x32s on the budget side, I like the Meopta MeoPro HD or Minox 8x33 BL as they fit my eyes the best and have good optics. But my face seems to be hard to fit to avoid blackouts, so you might have good luck with the more standard brands. I did not like the Zeiss Terra optics. The Vanguard 8x32 Endeavor ED II is $299 new with rebate, that might be your best bet if you can stretch the price some or buy used.

Marc

I usually have a binocular in the boat/canoe and keep it in a zip locked baggie usually in a soft shell case that will be open, if I think I'll have quick use for them - same with a small zoom digital camera. I can retrieve my binocular and have it up to my eyes in 5 seconds if need be - takes as long to get it in fine focus.

Coming upon moose, woodland caribou or waterfowl - they will usually give you several seconds prior to departure depending upon the distance.

No need to worry about damage or water - if you roll the canoe, you may have a bit of a problem recovering your optics but if you do recover your equipment the zip locked plastic bag will save your day.|;|

compact water proof

Thanks, all.

Just how compact would you consider? We use Nikon Travelite EX 8x25 in our canoes.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back