• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ardnamurchan Eagles (1 Viewer)

tom mckinney said:
Lee,

Sorry about this, but what is your point? I don't quite understand.

Tom.

Tom,

The first point was about being asked to delete my post that quoted Gallus' post re: Arnamurchan and Eagles. I ask why should I delete it? And indeed why should any of us be asked to delete posts unless they're defamatory, inciteful, crass, or vulgar? Gallus' made the mistake of getting enthusiastic about the wonders of these beautiful isles on which we live, and got shot down for it. We're all asking in innocence about the best places to see this bird or that bird, and some people would prefer not to raise the public's level of awareness of certain species. If we keep things to ourselves they get forgotten, this shouldn't happen to the eagles or any bird, punters should be lining up to see them in their natural habitat, although this exposes them to threats from egg poachers etc...it also keeps them monitored daily, take Haweswater, Bassenthwaite, Loch Garten etc...it works. I tire of people who've had the pleasure telling me I can't.

Secondly my name is spelt Rogers

that's all

Lee

Last edited:
jpoyner said:
I would like to mention that it would be rather irresponsible to point out nest sites of schedule one rare breeding birds to anyone, even if they are visible from public roads. The Eagles can be viewed in flight quite easily in this area from good viewpoints.

JP

I didn't start this fellows.

jpoyner critisized Gallus about posting this information and quoted him, thereby copying the information.

Gallus deleted this information while all the others left it in.

I was just pointing that out and suggesting that if this is sensitive information then ALL should take it out.

I'm sure everybody is on the same side here, and nobody is saying don't do this, don't do that........everybody is welcome to Ardnamurchan to look at what they please, there is plenty there and the whole area is beautiful........the problems arise when specific nest sites are given away, which is fine if English Nature, Wildlife Trusts, the RSPB, SNH, the Forestry Commission or whoever are there to keep an eye on things, but nobody can watch every eagle/osprey/peregrine nest all the time........therefore, by all means tell folk about good eagle/raptor watching areas, which are the natural environments for these birds, and let folk enjoy them living their lives in their natural environments.........just don't give nest sites away, there are enough eggers about as it is, and on a forum like this, it would be irresponsible to spread that unnecessary information, and risk the loss of not only eggs, but the future of these mighty birds at certain sites.

Lee Rogers said:
Tom,

The first point was about being asked to delete my post

Lee,

I wasn't having a go, I just wanted to make sure I understood what you were saying. Now I do.

I agree that all most people are ever doing is asking in innocence and just want to enjoy the birds of Britain. However, people MUST wake up to the fact that eggers are out there - and yes, they are probably on BF. I think it is believed that around 400 serious eggers are active in the UK - they have seriously hampered efforts to re-establish White-tailed Eagle and were almost certainly responsible for the hastened departure of the last few Red-backed Shrikes.

It's all well and good saying that publicising sites is a way of keeping the sites monitored, but eggers know this trick only too well. Next year, having precise details, they return before the sites are again publicised and raid the nest. That's not just speculation, but a fact.

When the RSPB or other groups publicise a site it is done with wardening prior to the birds laying eggs and until the young are fledged and safe from persecution. Even then they are not guaranteed full protection - the Weeting Stone Curlews were raided this year.

Lee, just remember that the birds must always come first and our enjoyment of them a very, very distant second.

Tom.

Tom,

I know you weren't having a go, and that most people are just eager to share what they've enjoyed. The eggers etc..are like the peadophiles preying on youngsters on chat rooms and the like, legislation will eventually catch up, the authorities will eventually take a stronger stance and though the criminal individuals never go away everything is being done to prevent them executing thier crimes. But just as you can't lock kids away (though mine come close sometimes) you can't hide what we've got. Ardnamurchan is huge and a dedicated egger will spend their lives driving round till they find what they're looking for it's hard to prevent it!

I'll go this summer and look out for eagles on my holiday and I'm sure whether there or on Mull I'll hopefully see what I'm looking for. I'm not out for a tick or anything I just want to see how majestic they are, and it's easy for those that have enjoyed the privilege to state that the bird comes first.

We all acknowledge the bird comes first, and wouldn't jeopardise their future, but what are we to do? Pretend we haven't seen it, haven't enjoyed it, not share it?

Lee

Lee Rogers said:
We all acknowledge the bird comes first, and wouldn't jeopardise their future, but what are we to do? Pretend we haven't seen it, haven't enjoyed it, not share it?

That's what I'd do. And infact I do. Without boasting, I know loads of sites for rare breeding birds, as do many keen birders. It's just in the birds best interest to keep it quiet.

Why the necessity to share it? Enjoy it yourself!

Hello. I am in Scotland right now! woo! and I can tell you that there are no eagles here whatsoever unless they are small wet and fall from the sky - there are plenty of those

Hi Gallus

Am planning a trip to Ardnamurchan this April (late), would really appreciate the info in your post!

Regards

Nigel R

Ardnamurchan has one of the highest populations of Golden Eagles

Hello, would you be able to give me any more information about gloden eagles in the arnamurchan area. Im hoping to do a breeding bird survey through the B.T.O in that area and would love to monitor eagles?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back