• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fieldscope ED50 or Vortex Razor 50 opinions? (1 Viewer)

IS60ED vs MM3

I have the IS60ED WP with the HR zoom and will be changing it to the mm3 version.

Niels

I am in a quandary. I went to Arundel again today and compared the IS60ED WP with the MM3 50. The former had a fixed lens which the rep said gave a 20x magnification, while the latter had the top HDF zoom. So I was comparing apples with oranges.

I was, however, impressed by the extra brightness of the former which I attribute to the larger objective lens. It would have been unfair to have looked critically at other image quality characteristics.

If you have both at the same time, I would be interested in your comparative comments.

I hope the MM3 60 ED comes out soon!

Last edited:
I have been a birder for about 40 years. I personally don't like any refracting type scope for birding, as they introduce false colors. I have been using Celestron scopes of different sizes, because of the color issue. These are mirror design scopes, so false color, isn't an issue. I have an 80mm, 125mm and a 200mm. Each one has its purpose. I use the 80mm, rather than binoculars, as I have a larger field size than any binocular, much brighter image and greater power. I have them on a lightweight tripod, so no straining holding binoculars up, while looking high up into the trees. They have a correct image diagonal in them, so instead of having to look up, you look down and they bring the birds up, point blank. No wondering what you are seeing.

I have been a birder for about 40 years. I personally don't like any refracting type scope for birding, as they introduce false colors. I have been using Celestron scopes of different sizes, because of the color issue.

I'd always thought that the bulk of the color aberration was from the eye piece, rather than the objective lenses. So this is an interesting new insight into the advantages of mirror optics. An angled optics design that removes the center obstruction might be appealing, combining light weight and good handling, without sacrificing robustness. Of course that assumes the needed non symmetrical mirrors can be made cheaply.

Check out the MM3 thread in the Opticron subforum. I posted some new pics and comments. I compared the Razor 50 to the MM3 and there wasn't any competition. The clarity of the image in the MM3 was significantly better. Clarity meaning higher light transmission, better apparent contrast and apparent brightness. Excellent edge performance as well.

Someone a little higher in the thread claimed the Razor edges out the Nikon in terms of resolution/contrast/brightness etc.. I know you had a Nikon at one time because you mentioned it. How would you say they compare from memory? I still have the Nikon which was a gift. I love the image and its the details that continue to aggravate. Unfortunately. I was tempted to try a Razor due to the dual focus which my lady likes. But I have all these lenses for the Nikons so I'm kind of stuck trending that way. fwiw

CC,

You already have the Nikon ED50 and are happy with it for the most part. That is my interpretation of what you just posted. Is that correct?

If that is the case then, admittedly, I don't necessarily see a reason for you to change to the MM3.

Yes, the MM3 does have a few "niceties" that the ED50 doesn't....rotating collar, rubber armoring, dual focus knob, etc... but, ultimately, the ED50 is an excellent little scope and still certainly in the same class as the MM3 overall.

I think one thing that often needs repeating in these forums is the quote that I carry in my signature line. The variety of regulars that post here are obsessive about relatively small differences in performance. Those small differences can be a big deal when you consider the incremental changes that occur within the sport optical "marketplace". In the grand scheme of things though the average consumer isn't going to note a massive difference in performance between these two models.

If you were in the market for a 50 mm class spotter and didn't already own one of this caliber then I would certainly direct you to the MM3 over the others for the variety of reasons mentioned in my review and from others have stated more recently. The prices between the three top performers are all relatively close so then you have to start looking at the smaller differences in terms of design and performance. For what it is worth I think the Opticron offers the most versatility of the three, the most up to date design and the most refinement overall. That is only my opinion though and others may feel differently.

Hope this helps somewhat.

...I love the image and its the details that continue to aggravate. Unfortunately. I was tempted to try a Razor due to the dual focus which my lady likes. But I have all these lenses for the Nikons so I'm kind of stuck trending that way. fwiw

My thinking is the same as Frank's, but out of curiosity, what are the details that aggravate? To my way of thinking, the ED50 is about as good as it gets image-wise, and if you aren't satisfied with that, going to another 50mm scope (even if it were slightly better) would be a trivial gain in comparison to going to a larger scope. Do you use your 50ED with the 27x fixed? If so, keep in mind that the equivalent fixed option for the MM3 is a 24x, and so it likely shows very trivially less detail in that configuration, and I don't think the Vortex even takes fixed eyepieces. If you like to use zoom eyepieces (I don't), and especially if you wear glasses, the MM3 is a better choice than the Nikon.

--AP

Frank:

I agree with you here, the Nikon ED50 is very good in its own right.

Most of my experience is with Nikon spotters, and I currently own the
ED50, FSIII 60, and the ED82. I have several eyepieces, and the nice thing
is they all fit on each scope.

I do not use my spotting scopes all year round, but when I do, every time
I look through the ED50, the first thing I say is wow, this thing is so good.

So CC, my advice is to enjoy the ED50, you have the eyepieces, and the other
scopes mentioned may be similar, but only you can decide which way to go.

Jerry

Frank, forgive my slowness but could you give me the address for the MM3 thread you mention in the sub forum - I have searched and am not coming up with it! Sorry to bother you.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back