• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in North America (1 Viewer)

lawrence5

Just watched a TV series about migration, and there was a scene with tens of thousands of migrating birds in the Mississippi.
Very interested to know where and when is a good time to go birding there. We live in Hong Kong, so we need to plan well to make this trip worth while.

My wife and I fell in love with birding last year. It all started with us reading a newspaper during breakfast in New Brunswick. The front page says the sandpipers are here. We drove there and was absolutely thrilled to see sandpipers performing an aerial ballet. The next day, we travelled along the Bay of Fundy, and went to another birding site, just as amazing. Since then, we went birding in New Zealand and will soon go to the Wadden Sea Netherlands.

Many thanks

Lawrence,
I cannot answer your question, but wanted to wish you welcome to Birdforum!

Niels

Hi Lawrence5,

Welcome to BF! So much to see on here, and I, for one, would be most interested in hearing about life as a birder in HK; one of those destinations I must get to, some day...

The month of April is prime time in Mississippi for birding

Agree with that, the Gulf Coast can be absolutely spectacular for migrants in April, especially if there's a bit of "contrary" weather. Every so often, a really strong wave of migrants will converge there - I believe it's called a "Yucatan Express".

As to specifics of place, I'm afraid I wouldn't know, but there are plenty of BF members from the 'States who would.

Now, if you ever come back to Canada again, that's a different story ... :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back