• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Galway Birding (local patch) (1 Viewer)

Congratulations Dermot.

Good day out on bay count today.

Raptor highlights were a male Merlin at Ardfry and a Peregrine at Ahapoula

Also a possible Pacific Diver at Ardfry. Found by Michael Davis and seen by myself and Marty. Looked good. Michael got some pictures which can be viewed here http://www.irishbirding.com/birds/web/Display/sighting/20117/Red_Alert.html

Would be a first for Ireland if accepted. There should be a few people out looking for it in the morning. Fingers crossed it'll be refound B :)

Thanks for the detailed Thayers Gull directions Dermot - much appreciated. We're coming to Galway this coming Sat & Sun.
Congrats on your recent appointment too!

Cheers
Chris

Well done to Michael for picking out the Pacific Diver. I'll be out looking for it again this weekend so hopefully it's still knocking around. Big twitch for it last Sunday.

Thayer's Gull still present out near Cleggan today. Also one 1st w Iceland Gull, 4 Great Northern Divers and a BH Gull in summer plumage with a full hood.

Out around the bay yesterday

Doorus Pier, 3 Long-tailed ducks, (2 male, 1 female), 10 GND, 4 Sandwich Terns

Aughinish, 10 Common Scoter (mixture of males and females), 1 Sandwich Tern, 3 Long-tailed ducks (all male) 11 Black-throated Divers, c.20 GND and a female Merlin.

Dermot also had a Black-throated Diver off Tawin.

The Thayer's Gull is present today at Ross Beach near Cleggan

I heard what I think to be a grey partridge calling near Furbo on Sunday, which surprised me. Its an unusual sound for a bird to make. Presumably a released bird, can it it counted on the county year list?

Aoife

Two recent pics. Red Grouse would appear to be a very rare bird west of Maam Cross and getting rarer. The second pic depicts two of my favourite (not) things - Ring-necked Ducks and hybrids.

121 Red Grouse Connemara, 8th February.

Dermot

Attachments

• Grouse.jpg
    Grouse.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 58
  • Ring-necked Hybrid.jpg
    Ring-necked Hybrid.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 61
BIRD ATLAS BLITZ

Happening this Saturday 13th. Meeting at the Cathedral Car Park at 9.30.

The plan is to fill in some of the blanks in East and South Galway. If you're free and want to do some Birding ...Please come along!

County List update
122 Buzzard Curraghline
123 Long-eared Owl Moycullen
124 Red Kite Screeb

Crossbills came in at number 100

Aoife the Grey Partridge was probable released by the local gun club. So I think we will not be counting an introduce bird. This is a pity.

In my rear garden the Goldfinch are regular visitors now with up to 9 at a time on the bush. One has an orange darvic ring. This is similar to a ring on a Linnet I had last year at Gratten Park.
Would have to assume someone is ringing these birds illegally.

On another illegal activity, I drove down the bog road on the Curraghline. To say my stomach was turning with what I seen is an understatement.
The amount of fly-tipping was staggering. The Man-with-a-Van has a lot to answer for. The bog road either side was destroyed and it now resembles a land fill site.
I have reported on other occasion over the years and nothing every seems to be done. This is the same bog road where the copper is 'harvested' from its PVC covers by burning. The ground is black with soot. It is I imagine untold the amount of dioxins that have been released and now entering the food chain.
I will not be reporting any more as it is a waste of time. The authorities know it is going on and just refuse to act.

Attachments

• DSC0432 140210.jpg
    DSC0432 140210.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC0427 140210.jpg
    DSC0427 140210.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC0416 130210.jpg
    DSC0416 130210.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC0306 220110.jpg
    DSC0306 220110.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 43
  • P1000452 230110.jpg
    P1000452 230110.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 53
Curraghline....alas.

The council have one illegal dumping officer. He retired in November. He will not be replaced-Fact.

Gunclubs are doing their bit for conservation. Releasing Grey Partridge, Pheasants and half breed Mallard. I hear that one particular Gun Club have set their sights on obtaining a TB free herd of African Buffalo to release in North Connemara*. Locals are in uproar..turns out there is no headage on Buffalo. (*this is not fact)

On the upside.....my own experiences with Buffalo nearly always involved Cattle Egrets ;)

125 Yellowhammer A single bird at the graveyard at Lettermore in Connemara. Hail shower came in just as I saw him and by the time it passed he had departed. I'll be back during the week for another look. A very rare bird in Connemara at this stage so it will be interesting to see if they've been hiding out in the wilds of Lettermore.

A few recent pics.

1. The famous Connemara lake monster featured in the recent TG4 factual programme "Ollphéist Chonamara."
These two were filmed (without the scope) with my crappy handheld digital camera and its 4x magnification. Right beside the main road alongside Killary Harbour (I know its not technically a lake, new species maybe - Connemara Sea Monster?)

2 & 3. Different male Red Grouse from the other pic a posted a few days ago. Note again the white markings on the lores and chin. Is this the Connemara form of the hibernica race, which may not actually exist by the way.

4. Mystery photo - any guesses, its a bit of a rarity in itself.

"Gunclubs are doing their bit for conservation" - indeed John sure aren't they doing a great job providing the national Fox population with an efficient food programme;)

Dermot

Attachments

• Otter 1.jpg
    Otter 1.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 75
  • Grouse 2.jpg
    Grouse 2.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 47
  • Grouse 3.jpg
    Grouse 3.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 46
  • FPM3.jpg
    FPM3.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 75
The Thayer's hasn't been seen since last Wednesday and it has been looked for since. Most of the gulls have scattered for some reason. I haven't been able to relocate it in any of the other regular gull spots. This winter has been the worst I've seen in Galway since I moved here over 10 years ago. The numbers of large gulls are very low and we didn't get the usual influx of white-wings.
Yes that is indeed a Freshwater Pearl Mussel.

Dermot

Attachments

• FPM1.jpg
    FPM1.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 44
Hi Tom, Fair enough on not including the partridge. I'd like now to take a trip to Offaly to see a true wild one.

Dermot, I'd never have guessed those were mussels. I thought I could see some kind of semi-transparent fish in the picture! And as for the two-headed connemara monster.....!!!

Aoife

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back