• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (28 Viewers)

August finished with a total of 102 species, the poorest return in the 6 years I have been keeping detailed monthly lists - the most obvious exclusions were any large raptors other than Buzzard, Whimbrel, Redshank, Oystercatcher, Greenshank, Avocet, any owls and Yellowhammer.

September has recorded an average of 109.8 species over the last 5 years with a maximum of 113 (2016) and a low of 104 (2014). Possible additions to the current year list of 138 include:

Barnacle Goose, Egyptian Goose, Pintail, Garganey, Mandarin, Goldeneye, Curlew Sandpiper, Greenshank, Little Stint, Spotted Redshank, GBB Gull, Merlin, Short-eared Owl, Whinchat, Rock Pipit, Tree Pipit, Crossbill

ID help?

Hi all

I have been on my hols and so today was my first visit for a number of weeks. The Moors looked great in the sun, some snipe showing really well and 4 little egrets.

Could someone help me ID this little brown sweetie. I thought at first it was a juvenile reed bunting, but now I'm not sure, the tail looks wrong and the beak looks finch-like?

Thanks J

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    486.9 KB · Views: 111
Thanks - it did not look very green!

Here is my pic of an amazingly outgoing snipe! It was out in the open for a good 10 minutes.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 81
Mike W and Carl further reported from the Moors Pool yesterday:

4 Little Egret, 3 Wigeon, 6+Gadwall, Water Rail, 5 Snipe. 7+ Little Grebe, juvenile GC Grebe

From the Flashes this morning Dave J reports:

4 Green Sandpipers, 13 Curlew, male Redstart, 10 Shoveler

4 Little Egrets flew from roost on Sailing Pool.

From the Moors Pool this morning Dave J reports:

2 Black-tailed Godwit, Dunlin, Green Sandpiper, Snipe, Swift, 2 Little Egrets, 4 Wigeon, 2 Pochard, 7 Gadwall

Few photos from yesterday.

1. Brown Hawker
2. Dunlin
3. Moorhen sunbathing

Attachments

• IMG_5632.jpg
    IMG_5632.jpg
    821.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_5636.jpg
    IMG_5636.jpg
    855.5 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_5639.jpg
    IMG_5639.jpg
    509.3 KB · Views: 49
Work party MOORS 4th SEPTEMBER

We will be Brush cutting the pool island in AMY'S MARSH .
This is to improve and increase the amount of wader habitat.
Starting 9 am
John:t:

For information

I caught this fox on camera yesterday afternoon, just south of the East Moors hide, last seen approaching the Sand Martin box.

On a more positive note, this kingfisher showed well and fished from a perch in front of the East Moors hide.

Attachments

• 02Sept-9105-2.jpg
    02Sept-9105-2.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 40
  • 02Sept-9289.jpg
    02Sept-9289.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 36

Users who are viewing this thread

Back