• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Whitmore Haye of A38 (1 Viewer)

punta

I was on my way back from Burton-on Trent and thought I would see if I could find the large second lake at Whitmore Haye. I parked on the lane and decided to have a walk over the mounds that are situated on the left. Found the lake but I am unsure if I could go any further as there were large lorries and diggers going up and down. Is it possible to get closer or is the top of the mound about as near as you can get. I took a couple of photos to show where I was. I might not even have approached the lake correctly I suppose.

I could not see much other than an awful lot of Swans. Did spot a grey partridge in the fields, so was pleased with that.

So my question is, can I get any closer or is it best to just view the lake with a scope from the top of the hill?

Paul

Attachments

• DSCN0945 (Medium).jpg
    DSCN0945 (Medium).jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 58
  • DSCN0946 (Medium).jpg
    DSCN0946 (Medium).jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 40
I was thinking of going up to Whitmore Haye this morning - anyone fancy a meet up and show me the way in. Will buy you a pint afterwards :t:

PM me if preffered.

Regards Paul

Whitmore Hayes lakes

I was on my way back from Burton-on Trent and thought I would see if I could find the large second lake at Whitmore Haye. I parked on the lane and decided to have a walk over the mounds that are situated on the left. Found the lake but I am unsure if I could go any further as there were large lorries and diggers going up and down. Is it possible to get closer or is the top of the mound about as near as you can get. I took a couple of photos to show where I was. I might not even have approached the lake correctly I suppose.

I could not see much other than an awful lot of Swans. Did spot a grey partridge in the fields, so was pleased with that.

So my question is, can I get any closer or is it best to just view the lake with a scope from the top of the hill?

Paul

Hi Paul, Both lakes formed by sand/Gravel excavation the main lake was donated to a charity for use as a an outdoor pursuits area by the landowner the 2nd lake the land is rented out and gunmen shoot regularly in winter. Both lakes are good for Wildfowl in winter, passage waders and terns.

Regards, John

Thanks for the info John - do you know how I can access the 2nd lake. Is it possible to get close to the this lake??

ALL help is very much appreciated.

Regards Paul

There is no access to the second lake. The landowner is not a pleasant chap! I believe it can be seen distantly from a footpath by the river.

Whitemoor Haye

There is no access to the second lake. The landowner is not a pleasant chap! I believe it can be seen distantly from a footpath by the river.

The footpath near the Quarry entrance goes along adjacent to the road and heads past the the Outdoor pursuits centre.Then goes over the road to enter the National Arboretum which heads North along the river
Heading south the black dotted line along the river is the parish boundary line and not a footpath.

Regards, John

So what every one is saying is that the 2nd pit is not viewable, so all the sightings on the staffordshire birding blogpage are off the first pit then ?

Shame as it looks a cracking lake for birds etc.:-C

A drive round the various tracks revealed only 11 swans (all Mute) south of the main road whereas I used remember huge flocks into triple figures - have they reduced in number or are just more widespread eg mixed up to Croxall?

I parked at the entrance to the gravel workings one Sunday afternoon, bearing in mind the gate was locked and no one was working , and the jobsworth security guard had a right go telling me I was parked on private property and to park elsewhere.

Had a walk around the area yesterday , flock of circa 20 tree sparrows in hedgerow up towards microlight runway, also up 3 smart male yellowhammers also up to 9 dunnocks together feeding on seed on bumpy road and up to a dozen skylarks. Fieldfare and redwings on runway. Many lapwings and many mute swans, + a black swan in amongst them , must have been upwards of 50 mutes but no whoopers or bewicks.

Had a walk around the area yesterday , flock of circa 20 tree sparrows in hedgerow up towards microlight runway, also up 3 smart male yellowhammers also up to 9 dunnocks together feeding on seed on bumpy road and up to a dozen skylarks. Fieldfare and redwings on runway. Many lapwings and many mute swans, + a black swan in amongst them , must have been upwards of 50 mutes but no whoopers or bewicks.

Was at this exact same spot a couple of weeks ago - on the driveable track between the microlight field and the lake, by the seeded spot. Also had about a dozen Tree Sparrows, one which had very dark underparts almost like a Spanish Sparrow. Also 15 Yellowhammers, about 200 plus Lapwings and same number of Golden Plovers with Starling flock mixed in. Just a scattering of distant Mute Swans.

Was at this exact same spot a couple of weeks ago - on the driveable track between the microlight field and the lake, by the seeded spot. Also had about a dozen Tree Sparrows, one which had very dark underparts almost like a Spanish Sparrow. Also 15 Yellowhammers, about 200 plus Lapwings and same number of Golden Plovers with Starling flock mixed in. Just a scattering of distant Mute Swans.

I had exactly the same Tree Sparrow today. Extensive dark on the underparts, certainly some melanism/aberrant plumage.

A nice flock of c40 Skylark in stubble but nowt with them.

The Black Swan is still with a decent number of Mutes(viewable from the bumpy track and also the pull in past Sittles Farm) but still no Whoopers or Bewicks.

I had exactly the same Tree Sparrow today. Extensive dark on the underparts, certainly some melanism/aberrant plumage.

A nice flock of c40 Skylark in stubble but nowt with them.

The Black Swan is still with a decent number of Mutes(viewable from the bumpy track and also the pull in past Sittles Farm) but still no Whoopers or Bewicks.

The Snapper, Nick Moss and others will probably know this by now, but for any others interested ... 15 Whooper Swan have been feeding in the crop-field next to Sittles Farm for a few days now, as per the Rare & Scarce thread, but you need your scope !

Cheers
Andy R.

Attached are the collated results from the 17 sites that participated in the West Mids Spring All-Day Birdwatch on Saturday 5th May, including Whitemoor Haye. A total of 130 species were recorded across the locations, compared to 138 last year when fewer sites took part. Passage was slow / non-existence across the region, probably best demonstrated by no records of Dunlin.

Attachments

• Spring 2018 All-Dayer.pdf
    47.7 KB · Views: 22
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back