• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Would You Pick....8x32 or 8x42 and Why... (1 Viewer)

MUHerd

Hey all,

I am looking at bargain level 8X binos right now. I'm kinda looking at them before I thought I would and therefore don't have the money saved back to spend as much as I thought I would have.

Anyway, I need an 8X bino and I've been looking at the 8X32 and 8X42 binos. I can totally understand that many would choose the 8X42 because of the added light gathering ability from the bigger Objective lens. Conversely, the light weight and ability to hold them steady for a longer period of time makes for an attractive feature in the 8X32.

I don't know whether or not the extra light gathering from the 8X42 really makes that much of a difference. I'm not going to be using them too much when it's getting dark or when it's starting to get light.

So...which way would you all go with or advise one of your friends or family members to get and why? Does the bigger objective really make that much of a difference when you're talking about Binos that aren't the finest made and would be on the lower end of the spectrum, $200 or less. Like I said, I am new and have a decent set of 10X42 binos, but I have never had the chance to compare them to a set of 8X32 in low light to see if there is much of a difference.

Lastly, if you want to suggest sets of binos I should be looking at that would give me the best bang for the buck, so to speak, feel free. I can use all the help I can get.

Have a good week and thank you all for all the help you have given me the last couple weeks.

Larry

As Texas generally, I imagine, has good bright light and as you will infrequently go birding at dawn and dusk, then I think 8x32s will be perfectly good for most of the time. Their advantage is that they're light, handy (unless you have large hands) and you'll barely notice them round your neck. Then again I suspect that an entry level 8x42 may be more forgiving when it comes to absolute optical quality. I've a small pair of mid-range 8x30s and a once top of the range 10 year old pair of 8x42 Zeiss. The latter has the better image but the former comes with me more often than not.

These Leupold® BX-3 Mojave™ Series 8x32 Binoculars are on sale at Cabelas right now. Also, here is a link to an excellent review by Steve. The FOV is 420 feet from the Leupold website. I believe Cabelas FOV specifications are incorrect.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/hunt...7480/leupold-bx-mojave-binoculars/1664888.uts

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/8664149/Re_Leupold_Mojave_8x32

https://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/binoculars/bx-3-mojave-binoculars/bx-3-mojave-8x32mm/

Last edited:
A very high quality optic that cabelas has in stock, and discounted right now, is the 8x32 Leupold Mojave. It performs very well, and is an absolute steal at less than $200, I think there's a link to it in the binocular bargains section.

8x42 would normally be the obvious choice if you won't be hiking for miles and miles or backpacking. You can see the list of what I own below my post. My 8x32 Conquest HD's are the binoculars I use most. You're going to have to compare and contrast the two sizes to really know what you want. That you have a pair of 10x42's currently, I would think some 8x32's would be a nice complement.

I find that I use 8x32s considerably more than any other format of binocular. That's on the basis that the best binoculars to use are the ones you have with you, and I'm far more likely to have 8x32s with me than ?x42s or larger, while anything with an exit pupil much smaller is a good deal less comfortable for me for long use (though I do have and use some). That my preferred 8x32s are possibly my best (and certainly my most expensive) binoculars is because of this: I went hunting for an 8x32 that ticked all my boxes because I'd determined this was my preferred format. While I would have liked the ones that actually ticked all the boxes to be less expensive, I decided to strech the budget because I knew that they'd be used more than any others I might have.

...Mike

(Full disclosure: I'm supposed to appreciate the quality long after I've forgotten the price - but I'm cheap enough that I'll remember the price a good long time :-C ...)

My life with binoculars mirrored that of the birds I watched.

When still in the nest you parents give you small manageable morsels an 8x30.

Later on when fully fledged, you have the freedom to soar with the other birds and have time to enjoy an 8x40.

If later on if you have your own nest of chicks, screaming for food with you working day and night to satisfy their voratious appetite for food, school trips and somewhere to live, you find that something smaller like an 8x30 might find a space under your wing along with all the spare nesting material, food etc., you seem to have to take everywhere with you.

If you skip this stage or you have managed to persuade the last of your brood to eventually flap off on its own, you probably decide that you need a good 8x40 or whatever else your fellow BirdForum members convince you is absolutely essential (or three or four of each, if thats how your mid life crisis develops), always assuming that you have enough energy left to carry it/them.

The story of my life - The End

Last edited:
Hello,

As 8x32 binoculars are lighter and smaller, they are clearly handier. They also tend to have larger fields of view. The additional light gathering power of an 8x42 probably adds only a few minutes more viewing time in Texas where twilight is shorter than in more northern latitudes. I suspect that a superior 8x32 is hardly poorer in light gathering than a mediocre 8x42.
When I take only one binocular with me, it is an 8x30 or 8x32.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

If you have a 10x42 then an 8x32 would be the ideal companion. Compact and lighter it will appeal in different ways and on different days than your 10x42.

Lee

I prefer the 8x32 over 8x42 due to lighter weight, smaller size,
and can do almost as much as the larger pair;
although 42mm is a better all around binocular
with more light gathering in low light conditions.

edj

I have become a major fan of the more compact 8x32. This is particularly so as - when in good birding territory - i tend to carry a scope and tripod 'ready to go' with legs extended on one shoulder. 8x32 bins on a Rick Young harness are easy to pull up to the eyes and operate one-handed. Plus i just like them anyway - particularly the 8x32 Zeiss FL.

What about ease of viewing through the 5.25 mm exit pupil of a 8x42 vs the 4.0 mm exit pupil of a 8x32? Does anyone here find that a critical factor to go for 42 as against 32?

adhoc,

I think that is a valid point. The advantage to an 8x42 isn't just about the light gathering ability but also the comfort level that a large exit pupil can provide.

Having said that I am jumping on the 8x32 bandwagon. 2/3rds the size, 2/3rds the weight and typically a wider field of view.

My vote goes for the Sightron though. No surprise there. ;)

My life with binoculars mirrored that of the birds I watched.

When still in the nest you parents give you small manageable morsels an 8x30.

Later on when fully fledged, you have the freedom to soar with the other birds and have time to enjoy an 8x40.

If later on if you have your own nest of chicks, screaming for food with you working day and night to satisfy their voratious appetite for food, school trips and somewhere to live, you find that something smaller like an 8x30 might find a space under your wing along with all the spare nesting material, food etc., you seem to have to take everywhere with you.

If you skip this stage or you have managed to persuade the last of your brood to eventually flap off on its own, you probably decide that you need a good 8x40 or whatever else your fellow BirdForum members convince you is absolutely essential (or three or four of each, if thats how your mid life crisis develops), always assuming that you have enough energy left to carry it/them.

The story of my life - The End
:t::t::t:

What about ease of viewing through the 5.25 mm exit pupil of a 8x42 vs the 4.0 mm exit pupil of a 8x32? Does anyone here find that a critical factor to go for 42 as against 32?

In theory, one would think that would be the case, but in actual practice, not so much.

Eye piece design and eye cup design also play a critical part in ease of view. I have a couple of 8X32 models (Nikon EDG-II and Cabela's Guide) that have easier eye placement than some 8X42 models. Eye placement and ease of view in these two binoculars are as good as any 8X42 for me.

I also have a Nikon Monarch 7 8X30 which I find more of a challenge in quickly achieving good eye placement. Part of that is due to short eye cups in relation to the eye relief and maybe that exceptional wide field of view stretches the eye piece design.

It is very bright in my location so a smaller pupil size makes things a little better. But if the 8X32 is designed right, I have not found a problem with ease of view.

adhoc,

Frank ..... is that because you think it is the better value?

Excluding value, would you take the 8X32 Leupold Mojave over the Sightron Blue Sky II 8X32?

These posts gave me the impression that you would score the Mojave higher.

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3172491&postcount=1044

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2945514&postcount=26

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2943626&postcount=21

Considering the Leupold Mojave is now on sale at Cabela's for $199.99 rather than the previous price of $349.99, would you go for the Mojave or the Sightron at about $170?

Last edited:
I vote for 8x42 - I own both but the 8x32s are just for small size to be carried when I'm not PLANNING on birding. I like the bigger exit pupils. I'm not going to argue the optical quality of the higher end 8x32s (it's there!) but I don't get on well with them.

adhoc,

I think that is a valid point. The advantage to an 8x42 isn't just about the light gathering ability but also the comfort level that a large exit pupil can provide.

Having said that I am jumping on the 8x32 bandwagon. 2/3rds the size, 2/3rds the weight and typically a wider field of view.

The 8x I currently use is the Sightron.

If you have a 10x42 then an 8x32 would be the ideal companion. Compact and lighter it will appeal in different ways and on different days than your 10x42.

Lee
I would add one binocular for the perfect party. An 8x42.

1)8x32 (For Hiking, Backpacking, Traveling, Bird Feeder, and anytime you want to travel light)
Advantages: Smaller and lighter, Bigger FOV, Easier to pack.
Disadvantages: Not as bright in low light, More difficult eye placement, not as glare resistant.

2)8x42 (Main Birding binocular, Go to binocular, Dusk or Dawn binocular or low light, Best all-arounder)
Advantages: Brighter in low light, Easier eye placement, overall more comfortable optically, more resistant to glare.
Disadvantages: Heavier and bigger, Smaller FOV, Harder to pack and carry.

3)10x42 (Open log distances, Seabirding, Birds of Prey, Desire more detail)
Advantages: Brighter in low light, More detail is visible, bigger images, more resistant to glare.
Disadvantages: Heavier and bigger, Much smaller FOV, Harder to pack and carry, Harder to hold steady.

So if you could have three binoculars these would be a good choice.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back