• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Crested ou Thekla ? (1 Viewer)

Jean FRANCOIS

Hello,
could anyone confirm this species of Galerida ?
Cristata or theklae ?
Currently, an opinion for everyone.
Thank you.
Jean
Dounia Park, Algiers (Algeria),
anthropogenic peri-urban park.

Attachments

• Lark sp.jpg
    Lark sp.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 71
For my money surely a Thekla with that short straight stubby bill and contrasty plumage and large dark malar patch. The alternative in Algeria would be Maghreb Lark, which is perceptibly longer-billed than European Crested.

For my money surely a Thekla with that short straight stubby bill and contrasty plumage and large dark malar patch. The alternative in Algeria would be Maghreb Lark, which is perceptibly longer-billed than European Crested.

I agree on Thekla Lark, but you are confused abut Maghreb Lark range that doesn't occur along the cost of Algeria (it is widespread south the Atlas mountains) ; there are different sub-species of Crested Lark that live in the Maghreb and, in Algier, should be Galerida cristata carthaginis.

That subspecies is, according to HBW Alive, "more buff with narrower streaks, paler below, longer wing".

I agree on Thekla Lark, but you are confused abut Maghreb Lark range that doesn't occur along the cost of Algeria (it is widespread south the Atlas mountains).
Well, now, this may 'just' be a matter of systematics/taxonomy.

According to IOC, G. macrorhyncha 'Maghreb Lark' has two ssp, one of which G. m. randonii ranges from e Morocco to nw Algeria. (But I too agree with Thekla's fwiw.)

Last edited:
Well, now, this may 'just' be a matter of systematics/taxonomy.

According to IOC, G. macrorhyncha 'Maghreb Lark' has two ssp, one of which G. m. randonii ranges from e Morocco to nw Algeria. (But I too agree with Thekla's fwiw.)

Yes, but what they called NW Algeria is still south of the Mountains ; Algeria is a very big country.

Nominal Maghreb Lark is on the desertic lowlands and G. m. randonii is on the plateaux of the southern slopes of the mountains.

I would not want to prolong the debate unnecessarily,
but I believe that many of the criteria mentioned in the table are aimed at Crested.
Friendly
Jean

I would not want to prolong the debate unnecessarily,
but I believe that many of the criteria mentioned in the table are aimed at Crested.
Friendly
Jean

I don't understand your point, it's clear that the image I posted is aimed at separation of Crested and Thekla?

Yes, it's an early draft of something I put together years ago but it was specifically aimed at the situation in Iberia. It should be used to ID Thekla's in North Africa with great caution (or not at all!) as there are different races and some of the criteria don't apply (or need to be modified). I'd call this as Thekla's myself although I have very limited knowledge of North African subspecies.

I would expect that the image is aimed at helping with such separation in S Spain. I believe the subspecies in N Africa are sufficiently different that a different page would be needed to be helpful in that area.

Niels

PS: John answered while I was writing my part

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back